Smuggled Shipment Intercepted

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thankfully they were found and alive. Hopefully they stay alive. It so sickens me that this keeps happening. If they would give these people a real punishment, it would make them think twice. Cut their hands off, they can't steal again. So sad too, thinking they would eat endangered species, just sickening.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Thankfully they were found and alive. Hopefully they stay alive. It so sickens me that this keeps happening. If they would give these people a real punishment, it would make them think twice. Cut their hands off, they can't steal again. So sad too, thinking they would eat endangered species, just sickening.
I'm with you...off with their hands!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It's not the poor,uneducated and greedy people with tortoises in their vans or suitcases that need the punishment, it's the people behind them.
And I worry about what will happen to the tortoises now.
Who's looking after them, how and where ?
What will become of them ?
How many will survive?
Not too hopeful, I'm afraid.

mesa, AZ
Who's looking after them, how and where ?
What will become of them ?
How many will survive?
Not too hopeful, I'm afraid.

"The turtles and tortoises were confiscated and handed over to China's forestry authorities." Is what the article said.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
It's not the poor,uneducated and greedy people with tortoises in their vans or suitcases that need the punishment, it's the people behind them.

~ I disagree, all should be equally charged and prosecuted!

~ I am amazed at how active well known retailers, brokers, etc. in the tortoise community are involved and/or have been charged with smuggling here in the USA. Many are still allowed to actively participate in the trade of tortoise and reptiles even after conviction. I am not going to disclose any names or businesses on here, however a simple google search will easily lead to many active and past cases that may surprise many if any true concern or interest!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

~ I am amazed at how active well known retailers, brokers, etc. in the tortoise community are involved and/or have been charged with smuggling here in the USA. Many are still allowed to actively participate in the trade of tortoise and reptiles even after conviction. I am not going to disclose any names or businesses on here, however a simple google search will easily lead to many active and past cases that may surprise many if any true concern or interest!
I do agree with you, but the people I was referring to, with my suitcase, van comment are people from poor communities in third world countries with no education or understanding of ecology or the value of animals. The people here in Morocco who sell tortoises have no understanding at all of why it is bad and for them it is often their only means of income.
Yes, they should be punished, but the people behind international smuggling and trade of rare animals for Chinese cuisine and medicine and so on, for example, are rarely apprehended it seems.

Last edited:

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

There are a few books on the topic that read like murder mystery/detective novels "stolen world" is one, that names many names. Bird people got the same thing going on, really well respected bird breeders got caught doing the dirty too. Then there are all those reluctant "bad boys" who want to flaunt the law but don't want a serious consequence if caught, so they play with animals, not guns, drugs, or people. A few good friends have basically said as much to me, some very devote to a faith. It's a weird things. I do question authority all the time, a battle cry from my formative years, but I also listen to the answer, you know.

Will