Smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abra

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mass
You'd think because I got Rambo off those horrible pellets he would seem happier, WRONG! He was finally getting used to his new life and settling in and when I changed his substrate he became sluggish. The new substrate was cypress mulch/coconut coir mix. Also, if you get really close to it it has this weird odor? Hard to explain but it's not pleasant. I used this mix because it was highly recommended by many people.

I was thinking...maybe it's because it's too moist? On the tank I see white "mists" in the bottom corners, is that good because of humidity? Or is it bad meaning it's too wet? I'm going on vacation for a Bar Mitzvah and my dad is going to feed him, so I think when I get home (Monday) I'm going to dump ALL of his substrate out, and start over with the leftover substrate I have. I still have a bit of cypress mulch and 1 1/2 bricks and some "mud" of coconut coir. Or would that be a waste? I just don't want him to get sick or anything.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have used cypress mulch for a long time and it does not smell. Do you ever stir it up with your hand? You need to to that so it doesn't mold and so the bottom layer doesn't get stagnant...I stir it up every other day or so

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Yeah I stir it up everyday, I just did.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Abra, mine does not smell, and I have 3 baby hatchlings in it. They are always pooping and peeing, I always pick out the little poopies. Is it too wet? I spray mine many times a day, but it is not soaking wet. Hmmmm

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
The "white mist" isn't mold is it? I have never noticed the substrate have any smell in my 14 years. I assume since you stir it up you havn't found any hidden poo that might be the cause. The only smell that I can think of is since you are getting Rambo on a new diet that you might be smelling him and his bowel movements. I noticed this with my Sophie when I first got her and switched her diet from the pellets that she was used to, to fresh greens.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
I've actually never seen any poop in his tank, I soak him like every other day so he hasn't pooped in his tank yet. But it's definitely just a mist cause I just put my hand in to wipe it up and it was just water. Should I replace it and let this stuff sit under a light and like dry up?

And I'm wondering if maybe he's too cold from all the moisture?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Is the smell a tree type smell. When I opened a fresh bag I think it had a strong tree smell, but not an icky smell. Could it be too much moisture in the coconut coir. I have had my two torts on the same cyperess mulch for maybe six month with NO odor. My torts are the most odor free animals I have ever had.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
just some warning they will eat their own poop. mine do

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
what type of enclosure do you have him in? if it is a glass tank then the air flow through it isn't that good so what it might be is the moisture in the substrate evaporating from the heatlamp, that would explain the mist. For the smell it might just be the moist substrate that you are smelling.

Tyler

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
I went and smelled the extra cypress mulch, coconut coir bricks and the left over coconut coir "mud" none of these smell like his substrate in there and I can only smell it if I actually open the screen and stick my face close to get something. I don't know if I should leave him in there, he has sort of failed to bury himself into the substrate and he's sleeping :) I just don't want him in there it it's going to harm him. Do you think I could be the pellets? I think there still were a few at the bottom that are still there probably turned to mush.

And yeah I have a glass terrarium that I'm hopefully updating soon.

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
It could be but i doubt it to be the pellets. I have never really had them before so I'm not sure. I doubt it is harmfull for him unless it is cold, cold and wet is very bad.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
It does feel a little too cold to me, what can I do to warm it up? I'm not getting my MVB till like Saturday, plus I'm not even sure that will be enough to keep him warm! How can I keep him warm?! Simple please because I can't go out and buy something at the moment.

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
One quick easy way that I can think of to warm him up a little is just just use a normal lightbulb, they still put off a little heat. Im sure that it is not to cold, the temps would have to be in the 40s to do any real damage or really even just give him a cold. He will probably be fine for now, If you wanted you could take out some of the old substrate and add new dryer stuff in to dry it out a little bit.

Tyler

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
My heat source is just a red heat bulb. I just set up another, normal bulb too. While I'm away I'm going to call my dad and explain to him where I want his MVB because it will be getting here while I'm gone, on Saturday hopefully. Then when I come home I'll maybe by a reptile heating pad? Or will that like set on fire underneath his substrate?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
From what I have read here heat from above is better, somebody corect me if I am wrong.

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
I personally stray away from undertank heating sorces just because I feel that it gets to hot and might burn my tort, but I have never heard of it actually hurting them, just my personal opinion. I highly doubt that it would ever catch fire to any of the substrate, especially because it is normall kept moist.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
First of all, I just hooked up a normal bulb on his tank, I put them both near each other so he could still have a cool side. I also sprinkled some partially expanded dry coconut coir over the top of his substrate. He seems fine just his tank seems too cold. My room seems to be warming up a little and his tank does too, so I'll keep checking it every few minutes. And I'm definitely going to make my dad get me thermometers/hydrometers or whatever when I get back to make sure his temps are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.