Smart or just conditioned?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Vern, my 10 year old Redfoot has developed a routine lately that isn't exactly based on time of day, but is still pretty consistent. I'm wondering if he is smart or if he's just a creature of habit.

He wakes up any time between 6am and 10am and we let him out of his enclosure. He walks down the hall to the front door and stares at it until we open it. He goes out, goes to the left corner of the patio, poops, and basks for 10 minutes and then comes to the door and waits for his soak and his breakfast.

Am I applying human characteristics or has he figured out that I don't want him pooping in his room or on his walk to go outdoors?

Enjoy this gratuitous Vern and Rambo photo that is likely upside down.

1461869174925.jpg

Rue

Canada
My guess is that he likes his routine...so he engages in it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My guess is he wants outside where he should be living and then wants to eat and knows the food God is in the building. They do get to be creatures of habit/routine

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My guess is he wants outside where he should be living and then wants to eat and knows the food God is in the building. They do get to be creatures of habit/routine

On nice days he is outdoors, lately we have had a run of bad weather, but he usually goes out regardless so long as we will open the door for him. It's been just warm enough that I don't mind him going out for a little, but not warm enough to leave him. spring will show up eventually I'm sure.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Tort Einstein :D

I think torts in general just learn from experience. Sitting in front of the patio door gets them out of the house, following a certain human gets them food etc.

Bean learns his routines within days. He's been with me in 3 different houses. After the first feeding in the kitchen he knows to wait expectantly there every time I let him out. He's SUPPOSED to walk to the patio door to go outside but he won't until I give him a bite. And then I reinforce it because I'm too weak to resist those hungry eyes :(