small RES with big RES

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
I'm thinking of getting more red eared slider, and im wondering if babies will be ok with my 7" turtles? Wilk they be harmed by the big ones?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I usually wait until the babies are at least 2.5 to 3 in in size before they are released into the pond with the larger ones. The reason for this not just competition with the larger turtles, but less chance of the little ones being eaten by a frog that may stop by. If you are keeping them in a small enclosure, I would not put them together until they are half the size and weight of the largest one they will be with. Len

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they should be roughly the same size, maybe up to half their size, the little ones will have to fight for food more than the bigger ones, you can get some more, but keep them separate until they are bigger, plus the larger RES may see them as food also.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
Great thanks! I never actually thought they could be food for the larger RES! I'll keep the babies separate until they grow.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Old joke; what do you get when you put a little bullfrog and a big bullfrog in together? One bullfrog.

Kinda same thing with the sliders...they can't help it ..

Status
Not open for further replies.