Small Bugs

Byauney

Location (City and/or State)
Grandville, Utah
I have tiny bugs in my red foot enclosure. They seem to be more interested in left over food than in my tortoise, so I don't think they are mites, but they're about the same size. They're in my reptile room and aren't in with any of my 23 snakes. I've completly changed out my substrate a couple of times, but they keep coming back. Does anyone know what they might be and how to get rid of them?

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
I have tiny bugs in my red foot enclosure. They seem to be more interested in left over food than in my tortoise, so I don't think they are mites, but they're about the same size. They're in my reptile room and aren't in with any of my 23 snakes. I've completly changed out my substrate a couple of times, but they keep coming back. Does anyone know what they might be and how to get rid of them?
either springtails or phorid flies
i have both in my sully enclosure
i use little yellow fly traps for the flies
both are harmless and help clean up the enclosure ?

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I had a plethora of phorid flies at one point, but their population leveled out on their own. I just ignored their presence in the interim.

nicoleann2214

NY
I have them too. They’re harmless and don’t bother my tortoise. :) not to worry!

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
How many rollie pollies are in your enclosure? I ordered online and there were 30-ish. Im thinking that's not enough as I still see lots of bugs.
Thanks!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
How many rollie pollies are in your enclosure? I ordered online and there were 30-ish. Im thinking that's not enough as I still see lots of bugs.
Thanks!
I started with 30 and wow did they multiple. I see dead ones in the water dish all the time and never pick up old food without seeing at least 10