Tiny tiny bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam22188

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fort Mill, SC
I just noticed tiny tiny little bugs in my Greek Tortoises cage, I don't think they're mites because they're an off white color. I have no clue what they could be. If anybody has experienced I would greatly appreciate some advice.

Thanks!

Heliopteryx

5 Year Member
They could be snow fleas. As far as I know, they're more of an annoyance than harmful. I've heard you can bake substrate and things in the oven (for about fifteen minutes) in order to kill bug larvae.

sam22188

5 Year Member
Fort Mill, SC
I looked up snow fleas, and thats what it looks like it could be. Is there a way to prevent them from taking over the cage. I am probably just going to change out the bedding and clean the cage tomorrow. I am not sure how they got in there.

Heliopteryx

5 Year Member
Natural dirt substrate often contains bugs and bug larvae, as I've heard. I would advise replacing the substrate with baked dirt if the snow fleas are too bothersome.

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Ontario
Can you post a picture of these bugs? I'm in the same situation, I'm thinking of either baking it or soak them in boiling water.

Cms9613

5 Year Member
I've had that happen in my box turtle habitat and my hermit crab habitat. I threw out all substrate and washed the habitats very well. It usually took very hot water and lose examining to ensure I go them all. They tended to congregate on the hide logs damp edges. I baked all hide logs, washed all plants and rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.