Small Breed Tortoise in OH

ktblr

5 Year Member
I am looking for a small breed tortoise located in OH. I have looked at russian and leopard tortoises but I am open to others. I would prefer a hatchling or very young tortoise as this is a Christmas gift for my son and I would like him to be able to watch it grow. If possible I am looking to stay around $100 or less. If anyone have any information on any, please let me know. Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi ktblr:

Welcome to the Forum!

I don't mean to shoot you down, but I really don't think you're ready for a tortoise, and Christmas is just too soon, you don't have enough time to prepare.

There are many different opinions on tortoise-keeping, and I'm going to give you mine:

I believe tortoises belong outside. I realize that weather plays a large part on where the tortoise lives during the winter, and its fine to have him in the house then, but, in my opinion, the main tortoise habitat should be outside.

Having a tortoise is a pretty big commitment, and it's not as easy as you might think. You are going to need a pretty large place to keep him (habitat). Let's assume you'll end up getting a Russian tortoise. He's going to need something appx. like 4'x8' to live in during the winter indoors. Otherwise he'll drive you crazy trying to escape. So, let's say you buy a used 4 shelf book case, lay it on it's back, remove the shelves. This would be an ok space for a Russian tortoise. But having a large book case laying on the floor of your living room, or your son's bedroom, isn't really an ideal proposition either. At any rate, assume that you've worked it out where to put this habitat, up off the floor so its not so cold for the tortoise. Now he's going to need substrate. So you line the book case with plastic to protect the wood from moisture, and add substrate. I like orchid bark or cypress mulch, but lots of folks use coco coir (Bed-A-Beast). You moisten it a bit. Now you add a couple hiding places. You can either make something, or buy a couple of half logs at the pet store. You'll need a plant saucer a little larger than the tortoise for water. This way he can climb in and be totally in the water. They like to do that. You'll need a feeding station. I use tile. It will look nice if you add a few plastic plants, and this also give the tortoise a more natural feel to his new home. Tortoises are cold-blooded, so you'll need something to allow him to keep himself warmer than the ambient temperature in the house. I use Mercury Vapor Bulbs because they provide UVB (a must have for healthy shell and bone growth) and heat in the same fixture. You may also have to use an incandescent bulb over the other end of the habitat to keep it warm too. If your house doesn't get too cold at night, you may not have to have a heat source at night, but if it does get cold, then you'll need a Ceramic Heat Emitter for night time heat without light.

This is just touching on the highlights. You can see that this isn't a decision to make just a month or so before Christmas. In my opinion, you should get your son something else for Christmas, and be thinking about the tortoise for maybe early next spring. This way you have plenty of time to prepare for it.

I hope I didn't discourage you. Having a tortoise is a wonderful thing for a kid. They really get a lot out of it...it just isn't a good impulse buy.

ktblr

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Hi ktblr:

Welcome to the Forum!

I don't mean to shoot you down, but I really don't think you're ready for a tortoise, and Christmas is just too soon, you don't have enough time to prepare.

There are many different opinions on tortoise-keeping, and I'm going to give you mine:

I believe tortoises belong outside. I realize that weather plays a large part on where the tortoise lives during the winter, and its fine to have him in the house then, but, in my opinion, the main tortoise habitat should be outside.

Having a tortoise is a pretty big commitment, and it's not as easy as you might think. You are going to need a pretty large place to keep him (habitat). Let's assume you'll end up getting a Russian tortoise. He's going to need something appx. like 4'x8' to live in during the winter indoors. Otherwise he'll drive you crazy trying to escape. So, let's say you buy a used 4 shelf book case, lay it on it's back, remove the shelves. This would be an ok space for a Russian tortoise. But having a large book case laying on the floor of your living room, or your son's bedroom, isn't really an ideal proposition either. At any rate, assume that you've worked it out where to put this habitat, up off the floor so its not so cold for the tortoise. Now he's going to need substrate. So you line the book case with plastic to protect the wood from moisture, and add substrate. I like orchid bark or cypress mulch, but lots of folks use coco coir (Bed-A-Beast). You moisten it a bit. Now you add a couple hiding places. You can either make something, or buy a couple of half logs at the pet store. You'll need a plant saucer a little larger than the tortoise for water. This way he can climb in and be totally in the water. They like to do that. You'll need a feeding station. I use tile. It will look nice if you add a few plastic plants, and this also give the tortoise a more natural feel to his new home. Tortoises are cold-blooded, so you'll need something to allow him to keep himself warmer than the ambient temperature in the house. I use Mercury Vapor Bulbs because they provide UVB (a must have for healthy shell and bone growth) and heat in the same fixture. You may also have to use an incandescent bulb over the other end of the habitat to keep it warm too. If your house doesn't get too cold at night, you may not have to have a heat source at night, but if it does get cold, then you'll need a Ceramic Heat Emitter for night time heat without light.

This is just touching on the highlights. You can see that this isn't a decision to make just a month or so before Christmas. In my opinion, you should get your son something else for Christmas, and be thinking about the tortoise for maybe early next spring. This way you have plenty of time to prepare for it.

I hope I didn't discourage you. Having a tortoise is a wonderful thing for a kid. They really get a lot out of it...it just isn't a good impulse buy.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and your advice is appreciated!

It is not a decision I made a month before Christmas. I have been looking and preparing, as well as researching.

Thank you!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Good luck with your search.

Here's a suggestion:
Get your son a stuffed turtle or some sort of tortoise knick-knack that you can wrap for Christmas. Pin a note on it saying something like..
"this is a sneek peek into your real gift, now lets go pick out your real tortoise together".

In other words the fake turtle can be wrapped and sit under the tree until Christmas morning. Then after he opens the gift he knows you guys will be getting a turtle. He can help you pick out supplies and maybe even the tortoise itself. You won't be rushed to get everything you need by Christmas and you won't have to hide a 4x8 tort table somewhere!
Make sense?

Hope this helps!

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199

5 Year Member
Welcome! Good luck. I think a Russian tortoise may be good for you, but do lots of research and ask all the questions you need on the forum!! [TURTLE]

mikeh

5 Year Member
You can also look into Greeks, Elongated, Eastern Hermanni. Are you willing to have it shipped to you? There are reputable places that ship out.

If you have done research and are prepared then please go for it. It will be a lifelong memory for your family and your son to unwrap a live baby tortoise present on xmass morning.

Stuffed tortoise = $5. Promise of getting one later = that disappointed sad face. Unwrapping live tortoise, priceless.

Please come back to share your experience, pictures, and any help or opinions for your set up you may need.

To the two previous replies: Where in the OP do you guys get its an impulse buy or not ready for it??? Sometimes my head spins from reading the out of content replies. The OP was simply asking where he can get one.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I never said anything about an impulse buy.

My suggestion was to save the hassle of hiding everything through Christmas morning.

Don't forget, it's wise to have the habitat set up and running before bringing home your shelled pet.
Jr. will know what's coming when he sees his mom set up a tort table and run it for a few weeks. The element of "Christmas surprise" will be gone.

To each his own...

teamaries

5 Year Member
It is reasonable to wonder about the degree of preparation based on the initial post. Leopard torts cannot be considered small and a quick review of prices on two popular retail sites shows that it is nearly impossible to find single hatchlings for $100. Maybe the response was a tad abrupt, but the basis for concern is real.
IMO, a sulcata might be found for less than $100 but they are poor choices for most keepers.
Good luck to anyone who keeps any pet. Torts are specialized and need a different viewpoint from most pets.

Everyone meant well and wants to help.