Slow growing star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starry night

5 Year Member
I have a Sri Lankan which I got from a board member on here back in August and it was a few months old and 37 grams. It's now Jan, almost 6 months later, and this tortoise only weighs 53 grams. Has anyone ever seen a tortoise grow this slow? He/she has tested negative for parasites and eats fine and is active but just is not growing. I was told by someone to try some apatite stimulant to see if it may make him eat more. I'm just worried that this tortoise could be growing way to slow or should I even be concerned with this? Hey Doug, good time to jump on for some 411 on this matter.

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Starry night said:
I have a Sri Lankan which I got from a board member on here back in August and it was a few months old and 37 grams. It's now Jan, almost 6 months later, and this tortoise only weighs 53 grams. Has anyone ever seen a tortoise grow this slow? He/she has tested negative for parasites and eats fine and is active but just is not growing. I was told by someone to try some apatite stimulant to see if it may make him eat more. I'm just worried that this tortoise could be growing way to slow or should I even be concerned with this? Hey Doug, good time to jump on for some 411 on this matter.

I think slow growth is better than fast growth. As long as it seems healthy, etc. and is eating and gaining weight I wouldn't worry (my opinion from previous experience but have not been in torts too long). I have 2 IS and one of mine was growing very, very slowly compared to the other one but now over a year later, I do notice a slight difference in their growth of their shell. The slower growing one seems to be smoother although it is hard to tell as the bigger one is more than twice the weight and very noticeable size difference of the smaller one and they were pretty close in size/weight when I got them. I have since separated them and the smaller one has increased it's weight gain slightly than what it was previously.

This has been my experience and I did worry about the size difference etc. and had their stool checked and everything checked out fine.

S

stells

They do grow at different rates... i have one that is was slow growing until it hit around 18 months old then it has grown quite considerably... one thing i have noticed with my stars is they will put on some weight then grow abit and lose some then pile it on again to grow again... they do this in spurts... if the tortoise is active... eating and otherwise healthy don't worry...

If you give them a spray in the morning you will find that it will stimulate their appetite...

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
So sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I do not check in here more than every week or two so it is always best to privately email me [email protected], this I check every day. That does seem a little slow, but I would not be worried if all else looks good. Best wishes Douglas

Status
Not open for further replies.