SLO tortoise?

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
My grandparents live in San Louis Obispo CA (cali mid coastal line) and were wondering what kind of adult tortoise they could house in their backyard year long? I was thinking redfoot but not 100% sure. Their backyard is tortoise paradise and after meeting my torts they are obsessed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How cold do their night time and winter temps get?

Have your grandparents contact Bob and Judy Thomas of the Turtle and Tortoise Rescue of Arroyo Grande. They have a wonderful place just plumb full of all kinds of turtles and tortoises. They can help your grand parents decide what kind of tortoise would live well outside in SLO.

http://creec.edgateway.net/cs/creec8p/view/creec_org/547

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If they build a nice heated box for cold days and nights, a sulcata or South African leopard, should do fine there. Any of the Testudo should do well there.

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
It doesnt get hott enough i would think for a leopard or sulcata. Thts wat i have and i live in vegas. Average year round is 70-80s and at nights in the winter can get as cold as 50-60s.

Also thanks yvonne i emailed them :)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
happyjoyjoy said:
It doesnt get hott enough i would think for a leopard or sulcata. Thts wat i have and i live in vegas. Average year round is 70-80s and at nights in the winter can get as cold as 50-60s.

Unless they are on the coast where the marine layer moves on shore and makes for a lot of cloudy days the temps will be okay for a sulcata or leopard. Like Tom said, a heated house would be required, but you are going to need a house/shed for security/protection with just about any species that lives outside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
happyjoyjoy said:

Have you ever looked at the weather where South African Leopards come from? Its like San Francisco down on the cape where I saw the wild ones scurrying about on a 45-50 cold, windy, but sunny day.

Like wise sulcatas are very adaptable and will do just fine with a warm retreat.

If not, all the mediterranean species will do just fine in that temperate climate.