Slime?

OsirisOmen

Location (City and/or State)
Sheboygan
I have a Russian Tortoise. He has a slimey texture under his shell. Any idea what that means? It'd be a big help if anyone could answer.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I have a Russian Tortoise. He has a slimey texture under his shell. Any idea what that means? It'd be a big help if anyone could answer.
Can you send some pictures? It could be just poop/urates smeared underneath after it walked over it. Or possibly some sort of shell rot?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
"under his shell" ...do you mean the underside of his carapace? The underside of his plastron? On his skin?

You see why we need more info...and pictures of all of him from above him and from below him, and ofthe problem area.

And welcome to the forum...you'll learn lots of things here.

Sa Ga

MN
I agree...it may help to see pics. However, if it's just on the underside of his plastron (the flat bottom part of his shell), and the "slime" is like raw egg whites (and washes away with a food rinse and doesn't come back), it's just highly dilute urates (so not concentrated enough to be the usual opaque white we usually see or thicker consistency of the say, white part of bird potty or toothpaste).