Slime Mold

bozotony

Location (City and/or State)
Hialeah Florida
Went to check on my redfoot and noticed that there was some yellow mold on the cypress mulch. I read up and learned that this is slime mold. Its harmless to living things and grows in damp humid areas. So what i did was scooped it out. I think i got everything. My mulch is very damp right now. Should i take out my redfoot and keep him in a temporary enclosure untill the mulch dries up and theres no sight of mold. Or should i leave my tort in ( id refrain from wetting my mulch aswell).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RF are prone to shell rot. They need it damp in the underside of the enclosure not on top. Can do this by pouring warm water into the corners so it goes more to the bottom of the substrate leaving the top fairly dry. To prevent the mold, you can stir the substrate up like maybe ever 2 or 3 days so some of whats wet will come to the top and dry out.

bozotony

Hialeah Florida
RF are prone to shell rot. They need it damp in the underside of the enclosure not on top. Can do this by pouring warm water into the corners so it goes more to the bottom of the substrate leaving the top fairly dry. To prevent the mold, you can stir the substrate up like maybe ever 2 or 3 days so some of whats wet will come to the top and dry out.
the enclosure is outdoors and has no base, so the water just flows out when i put it in the corner. I wasnt moving it around though, so i will definetly start doing that. And ill still try putting water in the corners Thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay seeing its outside with no real base. You could also really wet the top and then take a shovel and turn as much of it over as possible. If it's a very large area where it might be too much to turn it, then just stir it up right after wetting.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
the enclosure is outdoors and has no base, so the water just flows out when i put it in the corner. I wasnt moving it around though, so i will definetly start doing that. And ill still try putting water in the corners Thank you
You're in south Florida like me and your RF is outside.
There's no need for anything damp. The ambient humidity is enough.
Mine live on areas of grass, soil and mulch. Mostly it's grass. And mostly dry.