Skinny Russian tortoise 8 month's

BABYBAKER5555

Location (City and/or State)
Stratford upon Avon
My 8 and half month old Barrie is eating well thriving around but she just weight 45 -58g been a mixture of weeds,flowers, romaine and cress and plantain just want her to be okay- yes she has all the proper lighting

Attachments

• 20240411_130850.jpg
    20240411_130850.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Hi, I just want to ask you some specifics to help you a bit better :)

Has Barrie been losing weight? How often do you weigh him? What is his carapace length? What weeds do you feed him? How often and how much do you feed him? Do you give him any supplementation (like calcium, tortoise pellets, etc.)?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
If he/she is active, eating and steadily gaining weight, I think you don't have to worry. New growth on the shell looks smooth and good. Tortoises grow at different rate but with proper care eventually reach "typical" adult size.

Just check if anything is in line with the care sheet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/
Perhaps, you will find some differences with your setup, like what substrate to use - feel free to ask questions if change is necessary and why.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My 8 and half month old Barrie is eating well thriving around but she just weight 45 -58g been a mixture of weeds,flowers, romaine and cress and plantain just want her to be okay- yes she has all the proper lighting
What do you consider "proper" lighting? Most people get the wrong info from a pet shop or online and are using the wrong bulbs. What bulbs are you using?

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?

What is the humidity in the enclosure? How often do you soak the baby?

BABYBAKER5555

Stratford upon Avon
What do you consider "proper" lighting? Most people get the wrong info from a pet shop or online and are using the wrong bulbs. What bulbs are you using?

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?

I have a T5 Strip light with reflection cover on it in the middle of the table 15-17 inches hight and basking light is 12 inches off the enclosure and on a timer set to 33° turns off when over that and humidity is 60% I bathe her every morning 🌄

BABYBAKER5555

Stratford upon Avon
Hi, I just want to ask you some specifics to help you a bit better :)

Has Barrie been losing weight? How often do you weigh him? What is his carapace length? What weeds do you feed him? How often and how much do you feed him? Do you give him any supplementation (like calcium, tortoise pellets, etc.)?
Hi there he has maintained same weight mist of the time fluctuating between 45g- 58g I have her on dandelion leaves , plantain, ribeort, cress leaves, romaine lettuce, lamb's lettuce, tortoise food which you mix with water and calcium powder. I sometimes treat her to reddacio and pak choi.

BABYBAKER5555

Stratford upon Avon
I had her off of a friend had her coming up to 4 months I got told she Is 8 months when I got her so I'm guessing she's 11 months now ? Still the same weight

BABYBAKER5555

Stratford upon Avon

I put the che light on at nighttime that's about 27°

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I have a T5 Strip light with reflection cover on it in the middle of the table 15-17 inches hight and basking light is 12 inches off the enclosure and on a timer set to 33° turns off when over that and humidity is 60% I bathe her every morning 🌄
What kind of T5 lamp do you have? Height looks to high for Arcadia 6% lamps and too low for 12% UVB lamp. It's better to place UVB and basking light over the same area (unless you have long tube along whole enclosure). This is gives more natural lightning and tortoise better understands when it's time to hide from UVB. For the same reason it's better to have UVB lamp on timer for 4 hours around midday (look at UVI index in the weather forecast).

Using thermostats with basking lamps is not very natural as well (the sun doesn't turn on and off through the day). You need to adjust lamp height to get 37-39C right under the lamp and leave it on for the whole day. High wattage lamp may overheat a small enclosure and perhaps you will need a lower wattage lamp. Incandescent flood or pear shaped bulbs are work best for basking areas (anything too intense like spot lights and halogens should be avoided).

Nighttime temperature looks fine, it can be even lower at night - 24-25C. Did I get it right, that cold part of the enclosure warms up to 33C during the day? If so, this is too hot.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I had her off of a friend had her coming up to 4 months I got told she Is 8 months when I got her so I'm guessing she's 11 months now ? Still the same weight
Given the details on diet and heating/lightning she should be gaining weight (some things could be tweaked, but overall it is good enough). Baby tortoise weight fluctuates significantly, but from month to month it should increase. I weight my tortoise every week and look at monthly average weight.

What about her poops? How often, consistency (firm or not, any goo)?

What tortoise food do you feed and how often?

BABYBAKER5555

Stratford upon Avon
What kind of T5 lamp do you have? Height looks to high for Arcadia 6% lamps and too low for 12% UVB lamp. It's better to place UVB and basking light over the same area (unless you have long tube along whole enclosure). This is gives more natural lightning and tortoise better understands when it's time to hide from UVB. For the same reason it's better to have UVB lamp on timer for 4 hours around midday (look at UVI index in the weather forecast).

Using thermostats with basking lamps is not very natural as well (the sun doesn't turn on and off through the day). You need to adjust lamp height to get 37-39C right under the lamp and leave it on for the whole day. High wattage lamp may overheat a small enclosure and perhaps you will need a lower wattage lamp. Incandescent flood or pear shaped bulbs are work best for basking areas (anything too intense like spot lights and halogens should be avoided).

Nighttime temperature looks fine, it can be even lower at night - 24-25C. Did I get it right, that cold part of the enclosure warms up to 33C during the day? If so, this is too hot.
Hi no the cold part is 25° and hot part where basking lamp is at a temp of 33° and I have one over the whole enclosure.. only 4 hours? I was told they need it on for 12 hrs a day and basking light also it turns off at set temp off 33° sorry I didn't explain right 😅 and it's a flood light the basking one 75w

BABYBAKER5555

Stratford upon Avon
Hi no the cold part is 25° and hot part where basking lamp is at a temp of 33° and I have one over the whole enclosure.. only 4 hours? I was told they need it on for 12 hrs a day and basking light also it turns off at set temp off 33° sorry I didn't explain right 😅 and it's a flood light the basking one 75w

BABYBAKER5555

Stratford upon Avon
20240416_155321.jpg
Temps in humidity have dropped a lil I spray the enclosure with warm water 💧 to get to 60 % -80%

Attachments

• 20240416_155321.jpg
    20240416_155321.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

BABYBAKER5555

Stratford upon Avon
Given the details on diet and heating/lightning she should be gaining weight (some things could be tweaked, but overall it is good enough). Baby tortoise weight fluctuates significantly, but from month to month it should increase. I weight my tortoise every week and look at monthly average weight.

Do you think she maybe younger than the previous owners thought? This. Has crossed my mind .. I am assuming it's a she because of the carapace abut not sure I have a feeling she is she but time will tell . She's everything to me ❤️

BABYBAKER5555

Stratford upon Avon
She has a bath on the morning has a poo and urate then I feed her, mainly romaine lettce and cress and dandelion leaves 🍃 about the same as her shells worth then she eats and has a little explore then basks under basking light then sleeps then has a little snack for dinner like cucumber or plantain leafs 🍃 then at 7pm - 8pm I turn her lights off she goes to Bury herself under her substrate then I turn on the che.

BABYBAKER5555

Stratford upon Avon

Arcadia fresh pressed tortoise food too even 3 days

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Sounds good!
Yes, 4 hours is enough - it's solar UVI peak hours. Tortoises don't need very much UV (and most of them hide during sunlight peak hours). However, they still need bright ambient light to stay active. These hints and tricks are outlined in the care sheet I've linked above.

Basking light should be on for 12 hours without going on and off. Having a solar eclipse every couple of hours is not good.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Do you think she maybe younger than the previous owners thought? This. Has crossed my mind .. I am assuming it's a she because of the carapace abut not sure I have a feeling she is she but time will tell . She's everything to me ❤️
It's not possible to guess the age, because as stated - they grow at different pace.

And to tell if she is she or he is impossible until certain age. Russian tortoises don't develop concavity on plastron to make guessings even harder. Tail length and the opening position and shape ("slit" or "star") are primary signs but not in babies.