Skin Issues

moriah2971

Location (City and/or State)
MS
I've never used the greens house style enclosure covers, but other members here have reported positive results with them.

That is the one and only problem with Animal Plastics cages. I've waited 8 and 9 months for enclosures. They make a quality product at a great price and they are also great people. Its worth the wait. Having said that, our own @Markw84 is now making enclosures for sale. His enclosures are even better than the AP ones, and Mark's are purposefully and perfectly designed for tortoises. I have one of my own now and love it. It functions perfectly and with no problems. Best of all, his turn around time is usually two or three weeks from the time you order. I highly recommend sending him a message here on the forum and getting more info. I'll be getting all of my enclosures from Mark from now on.

Thank you. I appreciate it. I may try the greenhouse tent For now. I am scared to spend a fortune and him not make it. I don’t know if I can go through this stress again. My daughter is 9 and thinks he’s her best friend but I don’t let her handle him much b/c he seems so fragile. I’ve read your article on hatchling failure. Do you have any tips I can try to help? He has started to eat more and be more active but the bottom of his shell is soft. So I’m a nervous wreck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you. I appreciate it. I may try the greenhouse tent For now. I am scared to spend a fortune and him not make it. I don’t know if I can go through this stress again. My daughter is 9 and thinks he’s her best friend but I don’t let her handle him much b/c he seems so fragile. I’ve read your article on hatchling failure. Do you have any tips I can try to help? He has started to eat more and be more active but the bottom of his shell is soft. So I’m a nervous wreck.
All you can do is offer excellent warm humid conditions and god hydration. Either the baby makes it or it doesn't. The damage was done before you got the tortoise and no one and nothing can undo that damage. Some make it and some don't. This is a completely different experience when you buy from one of the few breeders that start them warm humid and hydrated. They are hardy little eating machines when started correctly and kept hydrated.

Tell everyone you know what you've learned. We are trying to stop this insanity.

moriah2971

MS
All you can do is offer excellent warm humid conditions and god hydration. Either the baby makes it or it doesn't. The damage was done before you got the tortoise and no one and nothing can undo that damage. Some make it and some don't. This is a completely different experience when you buy from one of the few breeders that start them warm humid and hydrated. They are hardy little eating machines when started correctly and kept hydrated.

Tell everyone you know what you've learned. We are trying to stop this insanity.

Thank you. It’s just sad. We are hoping our little one makes it. We are doing our best and have done so much research. Thanks to this tortoise forum! Lesson learned on our part when and if we purchase another. I was clueless. I’ve also already posted on Instagram about our story with him and will continue to share it.