Size of sulcata tortoise...

wongan

Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
Yes. In this type of tortoise the males get larger than the females.
4+ years old 18cm. Do u think is female or male ? the big one same age 30cm it's female (flat plastron) or sulcata tortoise different ? IMG_20180102_104131.jpgScreenshot_20170601-115028.jpg

Bambam1989

East Texas
4+ years old 18cm. Do u think is female or male ? the big one same age 30cm it's female (flat plastron) or sulcata tortoise different ? View attachment 226828View attachment 226833
I'm not an expert at sexing but I think it's still to small to tell. Most of the keepers here in the U.S. are asleep and will be able to give their opinions in a few hours.

wongan

Malaysia
I'm not an expert at sexing but I think it's still to small to tell. Most of the keepers here in the U.S. are asleep and will be able to give their opinions in a few hours.
ok understand and many thanks for your advice [emoji4] have a nice day !

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Good evening! Males will be larger than females but also different tortoises grow at different rates. Have these 2 always been housed together or are they separated? If they’re housed together, that would explain a big part of the size difference.

Reactions: Tom

Paulcain

My father grows rare Japanese fruit trees. He is family friends with the local Japanese markets and they give him day-old produce in exchange 4 the rare fruit he grows..they eat a ton!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My father grows rare Japanese fruit trees. He is family friends with the local Japanese markets and they give him day-old produce in exchange 4 the rare fruit he grows..they eat a ton!
Your zip code is New York. I'd love to see where you house these giants in winter? Also, Sulcatas haven't been imported that long, so I'm wondering how you know they're 40 years old? Just curious.

Paulcain

Your zip code is New York. I'd love to see where you house these giants in winter? Also, Sulcatas haven't been imported that long, so I'm wondering how you know they're 40 years old? Just curious.
Well, they are my father's.he lives in California. I live in NY. Actually he corrected me and they are almost 30 years old not 40 they were babies when I was in 6th grade that's how I know because he's raised them my whole life

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well, they are my father's.he lives in California. I live in NY. Actually he corrected me and they are almost 30 years old not 40 they were babies when I was in 6th grade that's how I know because he's raised them my whole life

At that age, they would have been some of the first CB babies available for sale here in CA. Now I'm curious too. What part of CA were these purchased from? I wonder if they were from the same batches as my first ones?

Orbela

This is exciting to find animal that were first breed 1/2 a century ago.

Paulcain

At that age, they would have been some of the first CB babies available for sale here in CA. Now I'm curious too. What part of CA were these purchased from? I wonder if they were from the same batches as my first ones?
So cal mid 1980s

wongan

Malaysia
My two of sulcata was separated house together... another two of rad house together which is one pair since 3 year's, do u think I need to separate two of them would be better ?

Paulcain

My two of sulcata was separated house together... another two of rad house together which is one pair since 3 year's, do u think I need to separate two of them would be better ?
No they should be fine. Just keep a close eye and watch for compatibility