Size and Age?

TeddyB

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
90A9FA17-5F14-481B-BB18-DD95E058454F.jpeg 55875E43-83C9-4CB3-8678-D199FB1D505D.jpeg 42B58958-C0EB-46E6-BBD8-B7314D62DF6E.jpeg When I bought my tortoise I was told he was a Greek Testudo and that he was around 8 or 9 years old, does he look around average size for the age they told me? I hope his size wasn’t stunted from being a pet store tortoise, but he’s getting all of the right weeds and greens with me now and will have a large outdoor enclosure. Also maybe anyone could tell me exactly what species of tortoise he is!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your RUSSIAN tortoise (Testudo horsefieldii) is full grown. No way to tell his age, sorry. He's not stunted. They don't get much bigger than that.

Lark_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Ct
As Yvonne said he is fully, or almost fully grown. Also, what substrate are you keeping him on? I don't know too much but those look like wood shavings and I don't think those are great for torts... Sorry if I'm wrong:p -Lark

TeddyB

Georgia
It’s aspen shavings, I read it was okay for most tortoises and I haven’t had a problem!
As Yvonne said he is fully, or almost fully grown. Also, what substrate are you keeping him on? I don't know too much but those look like wood shavings and I don't think those are great for torts... Sorry if I'm wrong:p -Lark
It’s aspen shavings! I read it was okay for most tortoises and he hasn’t had a problem, and I thought he would get bigger he’s only about 4 inches but thank you!

TeddyB

Georgia
Your RUSSIAN tortoise (Testudo horsefieldii) is full grown. No way to tell his age, sorry. He's not stunted. They don't get much bigger than that.
Thank you for clarifying, I thought he would get bigger he’s only about 4 inches but I guess I was wrong!

Lark_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Ct
It’s aspen shavings, I read it was okay for most tortoises and I haven’t had a problem!

It’s aspen shavings! I read it was okay for most tortoises and he hasn’t had a problem, and I thought he would get bigger he’s only about 4 inches but thank you!

Sorry for the misinformation!:oops: I am pretty new and I know there is a kind of wood that is bad for them so I made a wrong conclusion. Sorry!:D