Single Tortoise Night Box

Gwenamy

Location (City and/or State)
Windsor
I like my larger tortoises to live outside full time. My climate permits this year round with a little help. For people who live where it snows all winter, this type of box is still good for warmer weather, getting them out earlier in Spring, and keeping them out a bit later into fall. You'll need something else for the dead of winter. Or you can move South! :)

The top of this box is half a sheet of plywood, insulated and sealed, so 4x4 feet. The inside of the box ends up being around 40x40 inches when its all done. I use an 18x28 inch Kane heat mat on the floor, and a 21" radiant heat panel on the top. Both are controlled by the same thermostat: https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller
I lower the RHP so that it is within 6-8 inches of the tortoises carapace that lives in the box. I like to screw a plastic shoe box to the back of the box to contain all the extra wires and thermostat. Weather strip seals the top where the hinged lid meets it, and I use plastic freezer stripping across the door to hold in heat when the door is open. The door drops down like a drawbridge and makes a ramp fro the tortoise to get in and out easier. I latch the door shut every night and open the door every morning.

In summer our daytime highs are usually right around 100, with night time lows around 65. I unplug the boxes during this time and temps stay between 70 and 90 in them. In Fall, we have warm sunny days usually into December, so I set the thermostat to 80. As soon as the weather turns cold in winter, I bump the thermostat up to 86, so they always have an area to get warmer in on a cold rainy day here. Spring time brings back warmer sunny days, so I lower the box temp back down to 80. This routine works great for any tropical species like Stars, radiata, sulcatas and leopards.

Here is the box during construction. I frame the plywood walls with 2x4s and use 1.5" rigid foam as insulation. Then I seal it with silicone caulking and cover the walls with plywood inside.
View attachment 291639

Here is all the electrical stuff going into it:
View attachment 291640

View attachment 291641

Here I want to show the weather stripping in place, and the drip loop. The drip loop is simply draping the cord down a bit so that when it rains, the water drips down the cord to the ground instead of following the cord downhill right into the box.
View attachment 291642

Ready to keep a tortoise warm and safe at night:
View attachment 291643

This is a great way to house a large leopard or sulcata in a relatively warm climate. We get cold winter nights in the 20s and this box, built and heated this way, keeps them in the 80s. Because my climate is so dry, I usually add a 5 gallon bucket or some tubs of water to generate some ambient humidity inside the box. People in the South East US wouldn't need to do this.

Questions and conversation are welcome! :)

For larger tortoises, multiple tortoises, and a different heating strategy, see this thread:
Hi Tom
the link for the thermostat doesn't work. can you please post the brand name so I know I'm getting the right thing? THank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I like my larger tortoises to live outside full time. My climate permits this year round with a little help. For people who live where it snows all winter, this type of box is still good for warmer weather, getting them out earlier in Spring, and keeping them out a bit later into fall. You'll need something else for the dead of winter. Or you can move South! :)

The top of this box is half a sheet of plywood, insulated and sealed, so 4x4 feet. The inside of the box ends up being around 40x40 inches when its all done. I use an 18x28 inch Kane heat mat on the floor, and a 21" radiant heat panel on the top. Both are controlled by the same thermostat: https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller
I lower the RHP so that it is within 6-8 inches of the tortoises carapace that lives in the box. I like to screw a plastic shoe box to the back of the box to contain all the extra wires and thermostat. Weather strip seals the top where the hinged lid meets it, and I use plastic freezer stripping across the door to hold in heat when the door is open. The door drops down like a drawbridge and makes a ramp fro the tortoise to get in and out easier. I latch the door shut every night and open the door every morning.

In summer our daytime highs are usually right around 100, with night time lows around 65. I unplug the boxes during this time and temps stay between 70 and 90 in them. In Fall, we have warm sunny days usually into December, so I set the thermostat to 80. As soon as the weather turns cold in winter, I bump the thermostat up to 86, so they always have an area to get warmer in on a cold rainy day here. Spring time brings back warmer sunny days, so I lower the box temp back down to 80. This routine works great for any tropical species like Stars, radiata, sulcatas and leopards.

Here is the box during construction. I frame the plywood walls with 2x4s and use 1.5" rigid foam as insulation. Then I seal it with silicone caulking and cover the walls with plywood inside.
View attachment 291639

View attachment 291640

View attachment 291641

Here I want to show the weather stripping in place, and the drip loop. The drip loop is simply draping the cord down a bit so that when it rains, the water drips down the cord to the ground instead of following the cord downhill right into the box.
View attachment 291642

View attachment 291643

This is a great way to house a large leopard or sulcata in a relatively warm climate. We get cold winter nights in the 20s and this box, built and heated this way, keeps them in the 80s. Because my climate is so dry, I usually add a 5 gallon bucket or some tubs of water to generate some ambient humidity inside the box. People in the South East US wouldn't need to do this.

For larger tortoises, multiple tortoises, and a different heating strategy, see this thread:
Tom what if the plastic box doesn’t seal 100% effectively and causes a fire or is dangerous for the tortoise to get electrified by rain storms and wear and tear from weather?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom what if the plastic box doesn’t seal 100% effectively and causes a fire or is dangerous for the tortoise to get electrified by rain storms and wear and tear from weather?
What plastic box are you referring to? The one inside the night box? No water gets inside the box. The over hang on the lid prevents it.

Turtlesmama

Arizona

View attachment 291639

View attachment 291640

View attachment 291641

View attachment 291642

View attachment 291643

Turtlesmama

Arizona
I live in Arizona, so most of the year mine can be outside. I need a “husband friendly” type of building...lol...there is a wash behind my house and I’m afraid of the coyotes and huge owls. They took my little dog so I’m sure they can take Turtle...his name...lol...suggestions?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in Arizona, so most of the year mine can be outside. I need a “husband friendly” type of building...lol...there is a wash behind my house and I’m afraid of the coyotes and huge owls. They took my little dog so I’m sure they can take Turtle...his name...lol...suggestions?
Not sure what you are asking. The box shown in this thread is about as "husbandry friendly" as it gets, and can be used anywhere.

Are you asking about an enclosure? What size tortoise? What species? How big of a space?

Unitygraph

California

View attachment 291639

View attachment 291640

View attachment 291641

View attachment 291642

View attachment 291643

Have a quick question in regards to the top of the tortoise night boxes I’ve been seeing. When it rains, doesn’t the rain water just sit and puddle up on the flat roof top? Wouldn’t the roof top of a tortoise box be better with it being sloped like a roof of a house, so that the rain water just runs down off of the roof top.

Tolis

Tortoise Club
Cyprus EU
Have a quick question in regards to the top of the tortoise night boxes I’ve been seeing. When it rains, doesn’t the rain water just sit and puddle up on the flat roof top? Wouldn’t the roof top of a tortoise box be better with it being sloped like a roof of a house, so that the rain water just runs down off of the roof top.
It's been asked again, if I recall correctly Tom has not had any issues with his boxes but he does open them regularly so the water does not puddle for a while. I never open mine I used marine ply wood and its fine. You can go ahead and slope yours if you want just make sure it will firmly close so you dont have warm air loss.

marley2824

San Antonio, Texas

View attachment 291639

View attachment 291640

View attachment 291641

View attachment 291642

View attachment 291643

where do you put the probe of the temperature controller?

NovasArk

Tucson, Az
Hi All! Question regarding heating the nightboxes.
We had originally planned on making only the 4x4 nightbox for our 3 yr old sully, but hubby wants to build the 4x8.
Will the 18x28 Kane mat and 80 watt RHP be enough to heat the 4x8?
We considered putting in a removable divider with a doorway, to heat half, but still provide room for summer months.
We are located in southern AZ @ 4000 ft, so I don't want to overbuild for the heating elements I've already purchased.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi All! Question regarding heating the nightboxes.
We had originally planned on making only the 4x4 nightbox for our 3 yr old sully, but hubby wants to build the 4x8.
Will the 18x28 Kane mat and 80 watt RHP be enough to heat the 4x8?
We considered putting in a removable divider with a doorway, to heat half, but still provide room for summer months.
We are located in southern AZ @ 4000 ft, so I don't want to overbuild for the heating elements I've already purchased.
I've never tried that, and don't know of anyone who has ever tried that, so the honest answer is; I don't know. Your nights don't get as cold as most of the rest of the country most of the winter, so it might work for you in your area. Only your thermometer can answer that. It wouldn't be a bad idea to put in one more RHP just for insurance on the rare cold nights in the 30s. For most of every year, I think what you have will work, but I'm just guessing. Watch your thermometer and adjust as needed.

Pac-Man

Purvis mississippi

View attachment 291639

View attachment 291640

View attachment 291641

View attachment 291642

View attachment 291643

How much did this box cost with everything you've installed