Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Vegasarah said:
And, yet again, my phone apparently thought this discussion ended on page six... looks like this advanced discussion thing is already in the works lol. Sorry! Do mods have the power to move threads into the proper place and then post "This thread has been moved to the blah blah blah forum, it can be viewed here: *post link*"? I know you guys don't have time to sit there and do that sort of thing, of course, but maybe if the OP was able to do so easily we could say "Hey, OP, I think this thread would do better in this section!" and then they could go back and move it and do their own "This has been moved" thing?..... does that make any sense at all? I'm not good at expressing what I'm thinking into typed words, sorry.

We move things and split threads all the time in here. When something is moved, we choose how many days to show it as moved (normally that is two days we choose). The forum then takes you to the new place if you click on the thread. I would guess on an average day we do like 25 perhaps more such moves.

sibi said:
Vegasarah, I wish you well in your career choice as a future vet...we can really use someone like you. And, Ken, you all can forget about an Advanced topic forum because Yvonne (one of our mods) said it just isn't going to happen; so, I guess this discussion is a moot point. It would've been nice to see if it would've worked.

It's not moot.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
mctlong said:
Was the concept of the advanced topics thrown out or just the invitation-only part?

It was the invitational part mostly as I recall. I know I fight very hard against those kinds of things. That's why I think if I go in requesting the section as I outlined in an earlier post in this thread, I can get it to happen.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Jacqui said:
mctlong said:
Was the concept of the advanced topics thrown out or just the invitation-only part?

It was the invitational part mostly as I recall. I know I fight very hard against those kinds of things. That's why I think if I go in requesting the section as I outlined in an earlier post in this thread, I can get it to happen.

Good. I think it would be nice to see a section with more advanced topics, given that everyone has equal access.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
mctlong said:
Good. I think it would be nice to see a section with more advanced topics, given that everyone has equal access.

Well I have it's a good thing, the moderators can set some posting rules and delete all things not following those rules.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Would this proposed section even be necessary if...........

Members with extremely limited FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with tortoises, like having only kept a single species, sit back and allow the people with experience answer the questions for a specific species?

I couldn't agree more with the comments that this forum is great. I'm astounded how much it has grown from even when I signed on. What was once in 3rd place for chelonian forums is now # 1 I believe! :) :) :) :)

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
harris said:

Members with extremely limited FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with tortoises, like having only kept a single species, sit back and allow the people with experience answer the questions for a specific species?

I couldn't agree more with the comments that this forum is great. I'm astounded how much it has grown from even when I signed on. What was once in 3rd place for chelonian forums is now # 1 I believe! :) :) :) :)

You would define "FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE" as something other then only keeping a single species? I only currently keep 2; the number of species kept by somebody has nothing to do with their experience.
And the way for many to learn is to answer the questions themselves...I'm pretty sure nobody is going to do what your asking, and they will become very insulted if you do.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm glad to hear it's not a moot point because when Yvonne post that it wasn't going to happen, she didn't mention what wasn't going to happen. Glad you cleared that up and that there and will be advanced topics after all.

Jacqui said:
Vegasarah said:
And, yet again, my phone apparently thought this discussion ended on page six... looks like this advanced discussion thing is already in the works lol. Sorry! Do mods have the power to move threads into the proper place and then post "This thread has been moved to the blah blah blah forum, it can be viewed here: *post link*"? I know you guys don't have time to sit there and do that sort of thing, of course, but maybe if the OP was able to do so easily we could say "Hey, OP, I think this thread would do better in this section!" and then they could go back and move it and do their own "This has been moved" thing?..... does that make any sense at all? I'm not good at expressing what I'm thinking into typed words, sorry.

We move things and split threads all the time in here. When something is moved, we choose how many days to show it as moved (normally that is two days we choose). The forum then takes you to the new place if you click on the thread. I would guess on an average day we do like 25 perhaps more such moves.

sibi said:
Vegasarah, I wish you well in your career choice as a future vet...we can really use someone like you. And, Ken, you all can forget about an Advanced topic forum because Yvonne (one of our mods) said it just isn't going to happen; so, I guess this discussion is a moot point. It would've been nice to see if it would've worked.

It's not moot.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi,

It is interesting to see how this has moved forward.

I have never in any way shape or form suggested any kind forced or facilitated segregation of members.  I do not think any posts should be dis-cluded, other than what is repeatedly expressed by the mods, such as personal attacks  etc. 

I will restate what I posted on the very first post.  Posts should be "giggle" or "Chelonian Herpetology".  I think, though am not a programmer, that it would be a simple thing for all who sign to be made aware of a new feature.  That new feature would be two submit button's not just one at the end of whatever you write.

One Submit button would be "submit-giggle", the other would be "submit-chelonian herpetology"  the colored bar across each post would be one color for giggle, and one color for CH.  Right now that color is green on my computer.

Leave this up to the poster which submit key to use.  If someone wants to post a thread that is 'CH" and it's a plastic yellow turtle, then say after so many such errors, they would be giving a 'time-out' for a week or so.  

That way Josh can keep the $$ rolling in with an inflated user count, and the mods are not more burdened.

There already is/was some sort of 'like' button, as best as I can tell, by how many gold stars are associated with some users.  I do not see this forum as a 'social network' in the facebook sense, but more like linked-in where it is overall based, not on profession, but interest.

Maybe for all those who are lacking substance for a post that has value*  and feel a 'need' to post a picture of a plastic turtle- as if it were indeed a turtle, there could be yet another category called, images of fake (faux) turtles.  Or maybe even "mock turtles" I think most people know what a mock turtle is.

That might over time be a really cool category.  I can see the biggest contributor of such sought out for a late night hosted variety show with a collection of potato chips, crackers, and bits of dried bread, that all are formed in the shape of a turtle.  At one time this kind of thing was a ratings booster for Johnny Carson, the lady with the potato chips that looked like president's busts, or the collection of moldy bread with the Virgin Mary etc.

Maybe off topic chat needs a subform called “human interest” in turtles where the ballon turtle can be shared as a learning mechanism for the autistic, then it seems to me the topic is education, not so much turtle husbandry or turtle conservation.

So, in one of the initial threads I used as an example where silly and serious were mingled, where someone seeking information about tea.  The thread would retain all the posts it has now, but some would have the 'giggle' post color bar across the top, while others would have the "CH" color in the bar at the top of that post within that thread.  And again those designations -> colors would have been self selected by the poster.

I would further suggest that when one users clicks on the name of another to send a PM etc.  that the ratio, or post count of each of these two kinds of post be there as well, illustrating that forum members total type of contribution. Right now I see a place for posts and threads.

It is a fact of nature that different behaviors create self segregation within a population when those in that population are given the venue to differentiate. This way the mods got no more work, again Josh keeps his inflated user count up and advert $$ rolling in, all with just a wee bit of the programming.

Another interesting idea floated here is that there are or not experts.  There are indeed experts here, it depends greatly on how you want to define that term "expert".  A folk definition of 'expert' was when you traveled from one community to another to seek knowledge about something that all the locals could not answer.  This is pre -wired or -wireless communication. 

Well now the community is global with the internet.  I can tell you with great validity the world authorities on Pallas cats are pastoralists in Mongolia. They know the ecology of that cat very well, that information became global when scientists gave those pastoralists satellite able laptops, and they could communicate with zookeepers seeking better husbandry of those cats.

I have found breeders of softshell turtles inside national parks, that were completely unknown to that park's authorities, yet who had internet access to sell their crop to restaurants.  In that case the on-foot community was at a loss but the global community worked well.

So an expert is someone who has knowledge you seek. The quality of that knowledge is subject to a better expert. If there is no better knowledge to be had, of what is known, then you have consulted the best expert, and at that point it is up to you to creat new knolwledge or be happy with the status quo.

FWIW I have sought the inclusion of people I look to as experts to join this forum, they lurk from outside, and turn away.  The feedback I got was not the multitude of people seeking to understand what urates were.  It was based on “turtle tea party” type posts but not for those kind of posts being here at all, but for those posts being mixed in with a real question.  In short, it was expressed that it was disrespectful of the initial inquiry.  In that I would agree.

I know all my dinner will be mixed in my stomach, but I don't want my peas, mashed potatoes, lamb chop, and strawberry pie in one mouthful. Sure I can swirl my tongue around and get the individual flavors, but I don't want to have to do that.

Well, if someone declares their own post as giggle or CH, I think that would be a good move to having at least the strawberry pie ala mode seperate from the lamb chop and mashed potatoes. I know that sounds like the wrong order, but eat dessert first.

Will

*Value would be a restatement of a prior post pertinent to a current question, new points of view on the topic, redirections to other sources that answer a question - pretty much that which moves a live/real animal interest forward.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You see, the moment someone tries to set a requirement for asking questions, the problem begins. Even less experienced owners should be able to contribute something if they want.
[/quote]
harris said:

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
RedfootsRule said:
harris said:

You would define "FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE" as something other then only keeping a single species? I only currently keep 2; the number of species kept by somebody has nothing to do with their experience.
And the way for many to learn is to answer the questions themselves...I'm pretty sure nobody is going to do what your asking, and they will become very insulted if you do.

If I have issues or questions about my Mee's, I would prefer to have them answered by someone having experience with this species. Not sure how that can be construed as offensive.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
mctlong said:
harris said:
Just delete the smiley icons and call it a day. That's really the only silliness I've noticed. Some people can't type a sentence without inserting one.

Why are people always dissing the smiley icon? I like the smiley icon.

In real life, we add emotions to casual conversations using body language and facial expressions. We cannot express these emotions online (at least, not without lengthy descriptions). So, we use the smiley icon instead. :D ;) :(

Will said:
Hi,

I have never in any way shape or form suggested any kind forced or facilitated segregation of members.  I do not think any posts should be dis-cluded, other than what is repeatedly expressed by the mods, such as personal attacks  etc. 

I will restate what I posted on the very first post.  Posts should be "giggle" or "Chelonian Herpetology".  I think, though am not a programmer, that it would be a simple thing for all who sign to be made aware of a new feature.  That new feature would be two submit button's not just one at the end of whatever you write.

One Submit button would be "submit-giggle", the other would be "submit-chelonian herpetology"  the colored bar across each post would be one color for giggle, and one color for CH.  Right now that color is green on my computer.

Leave this up to the poster which submit key to use.  If someone wants to post a thread that is 'CH" and it's a plastic yellow turtle, then say after so many such errors, they would be giving a 'time-out' for a week or so.  

That way Josh can keep the $$ rolling in with an inflated user count, and the mods are not more burdened.

There already is/was some sort of 'like' button, as best as I can tell, by how many gold stars are associated with some users.  I do not see this forum as a 'social network' in the facebook sense, but more like linked-in where it is overall based, not on profession, but interest.

Maybe for all those who are lacking substance for a post that has value*  and feel a 'need' to post a picture of a plastic turtle- as if it were indeed a turtle, there could be yet another category called, images of fake (faux) turtles.  Or maybe even "mock turtles" I think most people know what a mock turtle is.

That might over time be a really cool category.  I can see the biggest contributor of such sought out for a late night hosted variety show with a collection of potato chips, crackers, and bits of dried bread, that all are formed in the shape of a turtle.  At one time this kind of thing was a ratings booster for Johnny Carson, the lady with the potato chips that looked like president's busts, or the collection of moldy bread with the Virgin Mary etc.

Maybe off topic chat needs a subform called “human interest” in turtles where the ballon turtle can be shared as a learning mechanism for the autistic, then it seems to me the topic is education, not so much turtle husbandry or turtle conservation.

So, in one of the initial threads I used as an example where silly and serious were mingled, where someone seeking information about tea.  The thread would retain all the posts it has now, but some would have the 'giggle' post color bar across the top, while others would have the "CH" color in the bar at the top of that post within that thread.  And again those designations -> colors would have been self selected by the poster.

I would further suggest that when one users clicks on the name of another to send a PM etc.  that the ratio, or post count of each of these two kinds of post be there as well, illustrating that forum members total type of contribution. Right now I see a place for posts and threads.

It is a fact of nature that different behaviors create self segregation within a population when those in that population are given the venue to differentiate. This way the mods got no more work, again Josh keeps his inflated user count up and advert $$ rolling in, all with just a wee bit of the programming.

Another interesting idea floated here is that there are or not experts.  There are indeed experts here, it depends greatly on how you want to define that term "expert".  A folk definition of 'expert' was when you traveled from one community to another to seek knowledge about something that all the locals could not answer.  This is pre -wired or -wireless communication. 

Well now the community is global with the internet.  I can tell you with great validity the world authorities on Pallas cats are pastoralists in Mongolia. They know the ecology of that cat very well, that information became global when scientists gave those pastoralists satellite able laptops, and they could communicate with zookeepers seeking better husbandry of those cats.

I have found breeders of softshell turtles inside national parks, that were completely unknown to that park's authorities, yet who had internet access to sell their crop to restaurants.  In that case the on-foot community was at a loss but the global community worked well.

So an expert is someone who has knowledge you seek. The quality of that knowledge is subject to a better expert. If there is no better knowledge to be had, of what is known, then you have consulted the best expert, and at that point it is up to you to creat new knolwledge or be happy with the status quo.

FWIW I have sought the inclusion of people I look to as experts to join this forum, they lurk from outside, and turn away.  The feedback I got was not the multitude of people seeking to understand what urates were.  It was based on “turtle tea party” type posts but not for those kind of posts being here at all, but for those posts being mixed in with a real question.  In short, it was expressed that it was disrespectful of the initial inquiry.  In that I would agree.

I know all my dinner will be mixed in my stomach, but I don't want my peas, mashed potatoes, lamb chop, and strawberry pie in one mouthful. Sure I can swirl my tongue around and get the individual flavors, but I don't want to have to do that.

Well, if someone declares their own post as giggle or CH, I think that would be a good move to having at least the strawberry pie ala mode seperate from the lamb chop and mashed potatoes. I know that sounds like the wrong order, but eat dessert first.

Will

*Value would be a restatement of a prior post pertinent to a current question, new points of view on the topic, redirections to other sources that answer a question - pretty much that which moves a live/real animal interest forward.

And still not a one therious thinetific thread. I did see a breeding question answered by a breeder. Eureka the forum works! Thanks for the Tortoise forum version of a rorschach test.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Shannon and Jason said:
I have read this "Debate" and all I have to say is Bless ya'lls hearts.

ditto :).......oops, sorry about the smiley face! ha

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
luvpetz27 said:
Shannon and Jason said:

Gaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!! I have no prejudice towards the smiley faces! Just the way they're used at times. Like after every. Single. Sentence.:cool:

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Will said:
Hi,

I have never in any way shape or form suggested any kind forced or facilitated segregation of members. I do not think any posts should be dis-cluded, other than what is repeatedly expressed by the mods, such as personal attacks etc.

I will restate what I posted on the very first post. Posts should be "giggle" or "Chelonian Herpetology". I think, though am not a programmer, that it would be a simple thing for all who sign to be made aware of a new feature. That new feature would be two submit button's not just one at the end of whatever you write.

One Submit button would be "submit-giggle", the other would be "submit-chelonian herpetology" the colored bar across each post would be one color for giggle, and one color for CH. Right now that color is green on my computer.

Leave this up to the poster which submit key to use. If someone wants to post a thread that is 'CH" and it's a plastic yellow turtle, then say after so many such errors, they would be giving a 'time-out' for a week or so.

That way Josh can keep the $$ rolling in with an inflated user count, and the mods are not more burdened.

There already is/was some sort of 'like' button, as best as I can tell, by how many gold stars are associated with some users. I do not see this forum as a 'social network' in the facebook sense, but more like linked-in where it is overall based, not on profession, but interest.

Maybe for all those who are lacking substance for a post that has value* and feel a 'need' to post a picture of a plastic turtle- as if it were indeed a turtle, there could be yet another category called, images of fake (faux) turtles. Or maybe even "mock turtles" I think most people know what a mock turtle is.

That might over time be a really cool category. I can see the biggest contributor of such sought out for a late night hosted variety show with a collection of potato chips, crackers, and bits of dried bread, that all are formed in the shape of a turtle. At one time this kind of thing was a ratings booster for Johnny Carson, the lady with the potato chips that looked like president's busts, or the collection of moldy bread with the Virgin Mary etc.

So, in one of the initial threads I used as an example where silly and serious were mingled, where someone seeking information about tea. The thread would retain all the posts it has now, but some would have the 'giggle' post color bar across the top, while others would have the "CH" color in the bar at the top of that post within that thread. And again those designations -> colors would have been self selected by the poster.

I would further suggest that when one users clicks on the name of another to send a PM etc. that the ratio, or post count of each of these two kinds of post be there as well, illustrating that forum members total type of contribution. Right now I see a place for posts and threads.

It is a fact of nature that different behaviors create self segregation within a population when those in that population are given the venue to differentiate. This way the mods got no more work, again Josh keeps his inflated user count up and advert $$ rolling in, all with just a wee bit of the programming.

Another interesting idea floated here is that there are or not experts. There are indeed experts here, it depends greatly on how you want to define that term "expert". A folk definition of 'expert' was when you traveled from one community to another to seek knowledge about something that all the locals could not answer. This is pre -wired or -wireless communication.

Well now the community is global with the internet. I can tell you with great validity the world authorities on Pallas cats are pastoralists in Mongolia. They know the ecology of that cat very well, that information became global when scientists gave those pastoralists satellite able laptops, and they could communicate with zookeepers seeking better husbandry of those cats.

I have found breeders of softshell turtles inside national parks, that were completely unknown to that park's authorities, yet who had internet access to sell their crop to restaurants. In that case the on-foot community was at a loss but the global community worked well.

FWIW I have sought the inclusion of people I look to as experts to join this forum, they lurk from outside, and turn away. The feedback I got was not the multitude of people seeking to understand what urates were. It was based on “turtle tea party” type posts but not for those kind of posts being here at all, but for those posts being mixed in with a real question. In short, it was expressed that it was disrespectful of the initial inquiry. In that I would agree.

Will

*Value would be a restatement of a prior post pertinent to a current question, new points of view on the topic, redirections to other sources that answer a question - pretty much that which moves a live/real animal interest forward.

I apologize if my freakin toy tortoise offended you

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
harris said:
RedfootsRule said:
harris said:

If I have issues or questions about my Mee's, I would prefer to have them answered by someone having experience with this species. Not sure how that can be construed as offensive.

You hit the nail on the head. I do not think it is too much to ask that a person giving advice actually have experience with that particular species.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Will, I think you might be right about experts lurking and not having an outlet. So, why not just post a thread worthy of these expert's opinions and see who joins the thread. You obviously have a lot to offer, I just don't understand why you feel you have to change all of our forum to do so. You could exemplify a real change but you are too hung up on the fact that because some people post silly thread's this forum is beneath you.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
jaizei said:
harris said:

You hit the nail on the head. I do not think it is too much to ask that a person giving advice actually have experience with that particular species.

Both Harris and Jaizei can you tell me how you would define experience with a species?

Let's take Mee since they were brought up. Who can answer a question on them in your opinions:

Person A) I just bought a Mee last week.

Person B) I have owned several for over a year.

Person C) I have successfully had eggs/hatchlings, but only have had the adults a year.

Person D) I have had eggs/hatchlings and adults for over a year.

Person E) I have never had Mee, but I have kept other "like" species for years.

Person F) I am well read on Mee, but can not own a tortoise due to where I live.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
harris said:
luvpetz27 said:
Shannon and Jason said:

Gaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!! I have no prejudice towards the smiley faces! Just the way they're used at times. Like after every. Single. Sentence.:cool:

Well, I am trying to cut down.....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.