*sigh* Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwright27

5 Year Member
I know, I know. I imagine this has been talked to death already, but I'm having trouble with the search aspect of this forum at the moment and I'm getting frustrated.

ANYWAY,

I've been using melaleuca mulch for my cherry head who is about 8 months old and 2" long. However I have done more research and it seems that melaleuca can be toxic. *sigh*

Cypress is not readily available here. I have been to several places (Home Depot, Lowes, Canadian Tire, garden centres etc) and nobody seems to carry it.

I read that if the tortoise is really young, using peat moss/soil isn't a good idea. Same with coco coir. So.. what else can I use???

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
dwright27 said:
I read that if the tortoise is really young, using peat moss/soil isn't a good idea. Same with coco coir.

Where have you read this? To date I have not yet heard or read this anywhere. I also know way too many people to count who DO USE peat moss, soils and coco coir with small tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
According to Mark (Madkins007), who knows quite a bit about RF tortoises, you can use any hardwood mulch for substrate.

dwright27

5 Year Member
So.. does that mean I can keep using the melaluca?
I forget where I read that about the peat moss and soil..

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Team Gomberg said:
dwright27 said:
I read that if the tortoise is really young, using peat moss/soil isn't a good idea. Same with coco coir.

Where have you read this? To date I have not yet heard or read this anywhere. I also know way too many people to count who DO USE peat moss, soils and coco coir with small tortoises.

There is (was?) a school of thought that any particulate type of substrate is bad for hatchlings because of the impaction risk.

dwright27

5 Year Member
I guess my question is about the validity of that school of thought heh

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Impaction is usually not an issue with a well hydrated animal. Accidental ingestion (stuck to food) vs purposefully eating substrate, aka amount ingested is also a determining factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.