Sick sulcata

mollydee

Our sulcata hatchling is chirping & breathing audibly also yesterday his nose was running a little . Anything we can do ? Seems to be eating & behaving normally . Something we can do or time for a vet visit ?

mollydee

Yeah that's what were thinkin don't want to wait & have it be too late - were just so worried wondering if there is anything we should do in the meantime - having a hard time finding a local vet who knows about tortoises :(

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Are the nares clear? Sometimes they get obstructed with food or substrate and can cause breathing difficulty / runny nose. You might need to shine a light into the nares to see an obstruction. I used a magnifying glass to help me get look. A few drops of saline solution can sometimes clear this up if there is anything in there. I have used Little Noses to clear my hatchling's nostrils, but I think any pure saline solution will work. If it persist, and acts more like the start of a respiratory infection, you should up the temps in the enclosure to about 85F day and night. I would still locate a Vet that treats tortoises in case this doesn't clear up in a day or so.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They don't just get sick for no reason. Before treating the symptoms, you need to discover and correct the cause. What are your night temps? How are you achieving and maintaining those? What are your daytime ambient and basking temps?

M

Maggie Cummings

Look at the Vet list on our home page and see if there's an exotics Vet close to you. Regular Vets don't have the knowledge to treat special species. They have to take different classes to learn about them... and it takes longer to be qualified to treat reptiles, birds, small mammals etc...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Before I take a tortoise to the vet (for similar symptoms like yours), I'll put the tortoise into a hospital tank and raise the temperature. A hospital tank here at my place consists of a 10 gallon aquarium. Then I make the whole temperature, all over the inside of the aquarium, at least 80F degrees, but not hotter than 85F degrees. This usually does the trick and they seem to slough off their symptoms quickly. If the tortoise doesn't get better, then I'll call the vet.