SICK RUSSIAN (lethargic, nasal discharge)

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
Hello again. It has been raining up a storm here in los angeles so i brought my russians indoors and made them an enclosure in a 54 gal bin. this gave me a chance to observe them more consistently than when outdoors. I noticed that my female russian was laying with her head down and legs out looking almost dead. So i woke her up and she moved around fine. She stopped under the basking light and got in a basking pose and then she closed her eyes. A little while later i see her rubbing her face on a leaf in her enclosure. And upon further inspection it seems as though her nose is clogged. She is having a difficult time breathing (kind of wheezing) and sneezes every once awhile. She won't eat, seems weaker than usual, and is sleeping all day under the basking light. I am wondering if she has the equivalent to a cold because it has been so wet and windy here. Any ideas? i am setting up a vet app for this weekend so if you guys have any immediate knowledge it would be appreciated. thanks

kezilulu

Have a look at her nose and see if you see any bubbles and if they're clear or not, she may have a Respiratory Infection. A trip to the vets sooner rather than later is important if it is an RI as symptoms are usually the later stage of the illness.
On a positive note she may just have some substrate in her nostril and it's irritating her but if it were me I'd be straight to the vets especially as she seems weak and lethargic
Keep us informed!
xXx

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
kezilulu said:
Have a look at her nose and see if you see any bubbles and if they're clear or not, she may have a Respiratory Infection. A trip to the vets sooner rather than later is important if it is an RI as symptoms are usually the later stage of the illness.
On a positive note she may just have some substrate in her nostril and it's irritating her but if it were me I'd be straight to the vets especially as she seems weak and lethargic
Keep us informed!
xXx

my vet app is at 10am tomorrow. that is the soonest they had

I checked her nose and their are no bubbles but the discharge seems to be clear. She went into her hide so hopefully she does ok until 10

kezilulu

Let us know! I'm sure she will be, my fingers and toes are crossed for you
xXx

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
They suspected an upper RI. They gave me baytril. Instructions are to inject 16cc daily for five days then every other day for five days. Anybody ever use this before?

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I found her dead tonight. I'm guessing the meds the vet gave me pushed her over the edge

Gtphale

5 Year Member
Sorry to hear, I'm in same boat with my little girl. Hoping for a better outcome though.

kezilulu

So sorry to hear that [DISAPPOINTED FACE] my thoughts are with you
xXx

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Oh no! I'm so sorry for your loss!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I just lost my sulcata this way last week. So sorry....