Sick Leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

miss28

5 Year Member
Ok, my 7 mo old leopard tortoise has stopped eating and is lathargic. Keeping him outside its 95 degrees and humidity is about 70 or higher. he was inside in a cage I bumped up temp to 95-100 and kept humidity down. I read to bump up temp and lower humidity. he's not opening his eyes much. Just laying there. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
miss28 said:
Ok, my 7 mo old leopard tortoise has stopped eating and is lathargic. Keeping him outside its 95 degrees and humidity is about 70 or higher. he was inside in a cage I bumped up temp to 95-100 and kept humidity down. I read to bump up temp and lower humidity. he's not opening his eyes much. Just laying there. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

what has he been eatin? have you been giving him his daily warm water soaks? leopards need it humid not dry. Before you put him outside what kind of light did you have to supply uva/uvb? he needs a basking spot of around 100 degrees F. it takes about 85 degrees F. just for the tort to digest his food. has he had that? what are you trying to feed him? just some quick info help us all out. how long have you actully had him and when did you notice him being lathargic?

miss28

5 Year Member
I"ve had him for about 2 months. I do soak him in warm water twice a day. I just bought the 100 watt powersun lamp. I take him outside to eat grass, clovers etc. He also will get watercress, endive, alfalfa sprouts. I add a lil calcium to his food once a wk. I keep his indoor enclosure from 85-100 and humidity was at 70. Ive noticed his behavior like this about two days ago.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Is his shell soft? Was his nose running prior to this?

I'm not a vet, but it sounds more like a calcium/d3 problem. Usually we here suggest soaking the tortoise in baby food when they get lethargic and don't eat. If he's not opening his eyes much it sounds like you don't have much time. Can you get him to a vet tomorrow?

miss28

5 Year Member
Also before the powersun light I had a mercury 100 watt uvb bulb

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
miss28 said:
I just bought the 100 watt powersun lamp.

What were you using prior to this?

`nevermind, you answered just before I posted.

miss28

5 Year Member
Yes I can except the vet wants to give him a vitamin A shot. His shell is a little soft not mushy by any means. He's moving a little outside.

SulcataSquirt said:
miss28 said:

what has he been eatin? have you been giving him his daily warm water soaks? leopards need it humid not dry. Before you put him outside what kind of light did you have to supply uva/uvb? he needs a basking spot of around 100 degrees F. it takes about 85 degrees F. just for the tort to digest his food. has he had that? what are you trying to feed him? just some quick info help us all out. how long have you actully had him and when did you notice him being lathargic?

Do you know a good vet. Saw you are from Missouri. My vet wants to give him a vitamin A shot. I've read not to

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
miss28 said:
Yes I can except the vet wants to give him a vitamin A shot. His shell is a little soft not mushy by any means. He's moving a little outside.

Keep him outdoors as much as you can. Even with the high humidity, it should be the best thing for him.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
what brand was the old mercury vapor bulb? has he ever been given D3 with his calcium? do you have a good tort vet in your area? id take neals suggestions and do a few warm water baby food soaks. when was the last time the little guy ate?

miss28

5 Year Member
The old buld is a repti glo 10.0 made by exo terra. I only give him vitamin D once a wk

Also, I just looked at my Repti Calcium. It does not have D3. Do I need the D3?

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
torts that are being kept inside without a mercury vapor buld need D3 with their calcium. torts being kept inside with a mercury vapor buld do not need the d3 as the mercury vapor buld provides that.(i still give a little d3 because mercury buld will never be a strong as the sun. a tort being kept outside in the sunlight needs no d3 at all. also, when small like that i like to give calcium atleast 3 times a week if not more. alot of growing a development is happening.

miss28

5 Year Member
Also I give him mazuri food. So I should soak him in that? For how long? steps or directions to this please!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Jay King, DVM
Lawrence Zeis, DVM
Watson Road Vet Clinic
3725 Watson Road
Saint Louis, MO 63109
Tel: (314) 644-154

Douglas Pernikoff, DVM
Clarkson Wilson Vet Clinic
32 Clarkson-Wilson Center
Chesterfield, MO 63017
Tel: (636) 530-1808

also, no i would not soak him in mazuri food. you need to get baby food in a jar, carrots or sweet poatoes or squash. then take a bowl a little bigger that your tort and put the food in their, mix with warm water about and inch deep and put your tort in their with a light over him to keep him and the water/babyfood mix warm. soak atleast 30 mins. also for eye issues i like to keep a tube of terramycin ophthalmic ointment on hand.(a must for all new tort owners). a quick google search and you can find a good place to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.