New Tortie

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnkarabas

5 Year Member
Just picked up my new leopard . About one yr old. I have him in a 40 gallon tank with a power sun light , and 100% cedar substrate. Also a log to hide in. the temp is 95 degrees under the light and 80 degrees at the far end of the tank.Any thoughts on how often I should soak him? Or feeding ideas? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

John j

pam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Congratulations on your new Leopard :) I am sure someone will come along with lots of info on leopards for u :) I own Russians so I am not alot of help to you sorry. We would love to see some pictures of your new Leopard :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I agree. Cedar trees have oils in them that are only safe for rodent use. Use eucalyptus or cypress mulch (non colored).

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
For a leopard that is a year old, I would recommend soaking every other day or every two days depending on what your schedule is like.

There's a lot to suggest with feeding, how about you tell us what your feeding plans are?

Other than that, get him in the sun as much as possible. Good luck and show us some pictures!

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
tortadise said:
I agree. Cedar trees have oils in them that are only safe for rodent use. Use eucalyptus or cypress mulch (non colored).

In the spirit of not spreading misinformation, cedar is inappropriate and dangerous for all rodents as well. Same goes for pine.

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
NudistApple said:
In the spirit of not spreading misinformation, cedar is inappropriate and dangerous for all rodents as well. Same goes for pine.

That's true (used to own hamsters)...I wonder why they still have it on petstore shelves.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
NudistApple said:

This is definitely true for gerbils :)

Wait pine isn't good for them either?

Status
Not open for further replies.