showing off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
I had my first peacock egg given to me by a friend and my little banty hen (smaller than a regualr chicken) hatched it. I was quite a sight to see this large adolesent baby pop her head out from under her 'mom' which was getting much smaller than her. We had her for 4 years and was like a dog hanging around with the rest of my chickens, all frendly. Then a fix came and killed her right infront of me. Lost it for quite some time.
Same guy gave me 2 more day old peacock chicks, one had a deformed toe and he was going to cull it. I said I would take it. We fixed up the toe and they were much harder to raise thann having a chicken do it, but they became even friendlier. My male Fred was sooo cool, much like the one we are talking about here. They had given up fee range as I was not about to have a fox get them again, but they did have free time under observation.
OK you think great right, nope 4 years later a damnned raccon broke into my pen and killed all my chickens and the 2 prized friendly peacocks. Never again!
They are such a cool animal and the noise reminds me of the cartoon 'Jonny Quest' nyone remember that??
Thanks for posting.
Nay

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Nay...how heartbreaking....I am sorry for your loss.

I really try not to let myself get too attached to Mr Peacock nor the Guineas although I don't think that was a successful attempt...lol...so I have to just let them live out their life and hope it is a long healthy one....you know? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.