Show us your burrow

Ariza

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
IMG_8144.JPG

I thought it would be fun seeing all the different burrows adoring hosts have created for their tortoises.
I made this one for Ariza with cinder blocks and two plywood covers. The tunnel is 12 inches wide by 48 inches long and the ''bedroom'' is wider to allow plenty of room to turn around. I didn't have much available dirt so it's covered with 14 inches of soil and plant branches above for insulation. It faces north and gets afternoon shade from the Mesquite tree. This is her favorite and even hibernated in it this winter even though it faces north. She has two other burrows, back-to-back, facing north and south but she seldom uses them. I read that in the wild they use 15 or more burrows/hides so wanted to give her choices.
She's my only one and has free range of my backyard. I have cats but they're inside cats. The neighbor's cat likes to visit sometimes but I watched her and she's simply fascinated with Ariza, just likes to sit and watch her browse. Once Ariza was walking towards the cat and she quickly moved away and then started watching again. LOL

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Ahhh, first time posting photos, didn't come out. Is there a tutorial for posting photos?

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Hope it shows this time

Attachments

• IMG_8143.JPG
    IMG_8143.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 53

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Ahhh, finally learned it! Hopefully others now will post their tortoise condo creations for us to admire?

First pic is the back-to-back south and north facing double burrow that she does not use much for some reason. Second pic is the burrow she likes the best, facing north.

IMG_8146.JPG IMG_8144.JPG