Should I sell my tortoise?

ChelseaR

Location (City and/or State)
London, England
Hi there,

Im a little worried about my tortoise and if he's okay, I've posted on here before and from what I've heard my enclosure is good for him but he's constantly trying to get out, constantly scratching at the walls.
He does get enough exercise and he is looked after properly, but as i said he doesn't seem happy and doesn't seem to be eating a lot.

If he's not happy I would rather him be with someone who will give him more than what I can.

Someone help! He's driving me nuts with all the scratching from the moment the basking light goes on till it goes off again.

Thank you!
Chelsea xxx

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Scratching and searching is pretty common. Even more common when there is too small of an enclosure.
You can't place him in another room? (For peace and quiet)

ChelseaR

London, England
unfortunately no, the enclosure he has is an okay size for the minute as he is just slightly bigger than my hand (about 1yr and bit) its different from searching, he's climbing the walls, i will see if i can upload a video of him doing it so you can tell

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm sure that my hands are likely a lot larger than yours, but lets say its a 6 inch tortoise?
A six inch tortoise should have maybe a 4 foot by at least 4 foot square enclosure.
Is yours anywhere near that size?

ChelseaR

London, England
He is 4 inches big so he's still small, his enclosure is 4ft longways but only 1 foot depth (n) the front part of the enclosure is a glass panel (viv flipped on its side) and so I've covered it up to avoid him being able to see out which is calmed him down slightly, he's now found somewhere dark to sleep and no longer scratching (yay!)
If i were to but the viv lying flat it would be 4 X 4 ft but its just space is an issue which is one of the main reasons I'm considering selling him to someone with more space.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello @ChelseaR . I do not really think that scratching is that serious an issue. Oli does it every now and again.

By the way, any pics of your tort and his enclosure?

Whatever you decided to do, good luck!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
He will need more space soon.
Have you thought of an upper level with a ramp fitted with rails to stop him falling off ?

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
If you won't be able to provide a larger area as he grows, then I would sell him. 4x1 or even 4x2 year round for an adult Testudo won't work.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I think an upper shelf with a strong rail would be a wonderful idea!! Way to go @Tidgy's Dad! My tortoise is quite a "clunker" against the walls, but I've tried several things that help.
1. Playtime outside
2. "Wallpaper" in order for her not to see outside the tank
3. Coconut coir substrate, about four inches deep. When she has somewhere to dig, it helps!
4. This one is weird. If you are about to go to bed, just pat dirt on top of the shell all cozy like a blanket. My torty sometimes won't go to sleep until I "tuck" her in.
5. Add a shelf for interest!! It worked for my tortoise, but unfortunately, the shelf rotted because it was made of wood, but before then it worked great.
Hope this helps! And your tortoise looks adorable from your profile picture!! More pictures???:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your avatar pic looks to be an adult Russian. I have an adult male Russian. He is not very big, but is still an adult that was probably wild caught. An adult Russian needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure. A smaller one is doable only if it's a winter enclosure and a larger proper size enclosure is available for warm days outside.
If your Russian is an adult then you don't have a proper sized enclosure. If you can't go bigger long ways, then build a second level. If you can't give a bigger enclosure, then yes, you should rehome him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My hope would be that we could help you figure out a way to keep your tortoise and give it what it needs.

If not, anyone who can't provide an animal with what it needs to thrive and be healthy should give it to someone who can.

And further, there is nothing wrong with this. There is no failure in admitting that you are in over your head, or simply tired of it. Quite the opposite, really. The failure would be to not realize this, and then subject an animal to less than optimal care. There seems to be this new trend of "forever homes", and it makes no sense to me. A tortoise doesn't have any emotional attachment to a person, so it won't care if it moves a few times in its life. Why do people think it needs to have a "forever home"? People's lives change over the years. People's interests, jobs, hobbies and amounts of free time can change for a wide variety of reasons, and there is nothing wrong with that. A person is not a villain if they get tired of taking care of an animal, and wish to give to someone else who really wants it and will give it a good home. I am a proponent of every animal being in the best home possible. If that means it needs to move around a few times as the years pass, I have no problem with that. And neither does the tortoise. I say: Let's forget this idea of "forever homes" and instead adopt an idea of "optimal homes".

Last edited:

ChelseaR

London, England
Wow! I didnt think id get such great responses!
I totally agree with you @Tom, I am still young (18!) and I've always loved the thought of owning a tort but to be honest with you I don't think i thought it through enough, don't get me wrong I do everything I can to make sure my tort is living comfortably (it would be cruel otherwise) but if i cannot be a suitable owner I will of course give him to someone who can!
@wellington I brought him when he was fairly tiny which was only just over a year ago so I don't think he's an adult just yet! I will attach some images to this post of his enclosure
@GingerLove I have covered the glass at the minute to see how he reacts and he seems to be calmer, less escape artist and he does get a good run around, my mum likes to let him run around when she's doing the cleaning (obviously he is kept an eye on and holes/escape routes are covered)
@Gillian Moore I will attach some photos to this post !

Thank you all, you have all been the best help! I honestly didn't think id get such a response, I definitely feel better with everyones help!

IMG_5559.JPG.jpeg This is his home at the moment, he is in the right bottom corner amongst the plants.
The light is a UV/UVB bulb so it does both, and of course one side is cooler and darker then the other as you can see.

And for size comparison, here he is venturing out into the light..

IMG_5561.JPG.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5559.JPG 2.jpeg
    IMG_5559.JPG 2.jpeg
    367.8 KB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I remember being 18. Life is a whirlwind of changes at that age.

Chelsea, your intentions are clearly good, your head is on straight and your heart is in the right place. If you decide you are not the right home for this tortoise, I have no doubt you will do the right thing and this tortoise will have a long happy life, wherever he ends up.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Wow! I didnt think id get such great responses!
I totally agree with you @Tom, I am still young (18!) and I've always loved the thought of owning a tort but to be honest with you I don't think i thought it through enough, don't get me wrong I do everything I can to make sure my tort is living comfortably (it would be cruel otherwise) but if i cannot be a suitable owner I will of course give him to someone who can!
@wellington I brought him when he was fairly tiny which was only just over a year ago so I don't think he's an adult just yet! I will attach some images to this post of his enclosure
@GingerLove I have covered the glass at the minute to see how he reacts and he seems to be calmer, less escape artist and he does get a good run around, my mum likes to let him run around when she's doing the cleaning (obviously he is kept an eye on and holes/escape routes are covered)
@Gillian Moore I will attach some photos to this post !

Thank you all, you have all been the best help! I honestly didn't think id get such a response, I definitely feel better with everyones help!

View attachment 201143 This is his home at the moment, he is in the right bottom corner amongst the plants.
The light is a UV/UVB bulb so it does both, and of course one side is cooler and darker then the other as you can see.

And for size comparison, here he is venturing out into the light..

View attachment 201145
Definitely room for a second level in there.
You could pretty much double his effective enclosure size.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
That's an awesome age. You will find a lot of people on this forum are very close to that age! You sound like you are responsible, intelligent, and honest with yourself. So I'm going to tell you straight. I think you ought to keep little torty-poo because I know you will give him a lot of love and a great home! That being said, nobody knows you better than you know yourself. :) I think your enclosure is perfect, but if we wanted to talk about it "technically", the cage will almost always be too small. i second Tidgy's idea to put in a shelf. I really think it will quiet him down to have something to explore!

You need more dirt, I use to have the same problem, he is constantly trying to burrow for humidity because it is to dry