should i go bigger??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
how does an interior cabinet hold up against all the humidity and moisture that is in a hatchlings cage?
I have one now that is made out of acrylic put into a wood frame and all the moisture just seeps through the wood and then starts to drip. I had to line it with plastic for now and not only that but the wood is starting to mold. It won't last much longer and its only been in use for maybe a month.
If your squirting your enclosure down and pouring hot water into the bottom substrate and keeping it moist to keep humidity levels at 80% won't all that water just ruin that wood that's meant to be kept inside...am I completely missing something here lol

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
BrinnANDGupta said:
how does an interior cabinet hold up against all the humidity and moisture that is in a hatchlings cage?
I have one now that is made out of acrylic put into a wood frame and all the moisture just seeps through the wood and then starts to drip. I had to line it with plastic for now and not only that but the wood is starting to mold. It won't last much longer and its only been in use for maybe a month.
If your squirting your enclosure down and pouring hot water into the bottom substrate and keeping it moist to keep humidity levels at 80% won't all that water just ruin that wood that's meant to be kept inside...am I completely missing something here lol

Lol I line all my enclosures with this black plastic made to withstand moisture and I don't pour any water in my substrate/soil I just mist it down by the heat lamp and mist them daily across their shells.most of the water ends up on the bottom of the substrate anyway when I turn the soil every month the bottom soil is always moist.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
sulcatababies1402 said:
BrinnANDGupta said:

Lol I line all my enclosures with this black plastic made to withstand moisture and I don't pour any water in my substrate/soil I just mist it down by the heat lamp and mist them daily across their shells.most of the water ends up on the bottom of the substrate anyway when I turn the soil every month the bottom soil is always moist.

Oooo okay I see now lol thank you

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
BrinnANDGupta said:
Oooo okay I see now lol thank you

No problem :) I would suggest a thicker lining in your next enclosure if your current one is growing mold.they have some liner for outdoor ponds that can be cut to fit and that way it will stay where it is supposed to.I would also suggest only misting down the top layer of soil/substrate daily or every other day rather then pouring water.If it stays in the lining and you keep pouring sooner or later you will have a mud puddle not dirt :) Best of luck! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.