should i go bigger??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
ok so i am looking to create a new and improved tort table for the winter because they are going into my dining area and i want them to not only be safe but look nice there.Currently i have about 54in length x 24inch wideth in my housing of Bowser and Peach-I have been fussing with my fiance to give up his other bookshelf so i can add a extension but he insists that what i have is fine for now.So i come to the experts to settle the case :p

Bowser is about 3in and aprox. 87 grams-Peach is now about 2 inches in leangth and aprox. 69 grams.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-update-on-Peach-and-Bowser#axzz1dH0y9YgI-link to what they look like now :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The bigger the better. I have a 15x30' outdoor baby enclosure and they use every bit of it. Keeping them in a 54x24" is not going to kill them, but more room to move will be better for them. Plus they are not going to stay 87 and 69 grams for very long...

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Tom said:
The bigger the better. I have a 15x30' outdoor baby enclosure and they use every bit of it. Keeping them in a 54x24" is not going to kill them, but more room to move will be better for them. Plus they are not going to stay 87 and 69 grams for very long...

sooooo what your saying is im right :) good i will let my fiance know we have a project to do this weekend i have already been pricing plywood and 4x4 because i want to stabilize the bottom and add legs to my current table.If he can find me a bigger cabinet for them i will give up my claim on his bookshelf but if not i see a extension in my future :p thanks Tom

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Lol so I told my fiancé this morning and he made a face but said he would look around for a bigger cabinet :p it's getting chilly here in central Tx might have to start bringing them in soon

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Another senseless book shelf slaughter in the name of the almighty tortoise! What is the world coming to? **HAHA! JUST KIDDING!** Chop that sucker up and make more room for those torts!!! :p:p

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
AnthonyC said:
Another senseless book shelf slaughter in the name of the almighty tortoise! What is the world coming to? **HAHA! JUST KIDDING!** Chop that sucker up and make more room for those torts!!! :p:p

Lol he insisted we could wait and I'm sure we could BUT I want them to be able to roam around this winter without boredom setting in :p soooo back to the building block :p let's dissect some book shelves ;) everybody has a Nook these days anyways LOL

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Ha! Found a new house for my torts at the second hand store for $25 :D I want to say 6x3' and maybe a foot deep :) I will get proper measurements when I get it home :p YAY! They get a new winter place full of room to roam :)

It was a old entertainment center/video tape shelf..too small for flat screens we have these days but perfect to dissect and turn into a tort table :p what's funny is my fiancé saw it as a tort table before he knew it was a entertainment center.He said "look that's perfect for them" :p

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
sulcatababies1402 said:
Ha! Found a new house for my torts at the second hand store for $25 :D I want to say 6x3' and maybe a foot deep :) I will get proper measurements when I get it home :p YAY! They get a new winter place full of room to roam :)

It was a old entertainment center/video tape shelf..too small for flat screens we have these days but perfect to dissect and turn into a tort table :p what's funny is my fiancé saw it as a tort table before he knew it was a entertainment center.He said "look that's perfect for them" :p

I can't wait to see pics!!! :D :p

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
I know I'm excited :D it wont be ready for them till the beginning of December probably because my fiancé wants to reenforce the back and add legs to it so if needed it can be moved like a table.once the dirt goes in I doubt I will be bending over to pick it up lol :p will post picks of the before product though to give you guys a idea of what I'm working with :)

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Well my eye measurements were Almost spot on measured its about 6.5x2.5x1.5 :) considering the depth we are going to be making this one 2 story using the extra wood we will have once we remove the shelves :) I'm solo excited they are going to love it!! Like a Christmas present for my babies :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I'm solo excited they are going to love it!!

Solo excited? does that mean you are the one who is happy and the BF is not so? or was it a typo? HA!

phantoms

5 Year Member
Wilmington DE
sulcatababies1402 said:

Great find. I was going to suggest Ikea cause I know they have stuff cheap there. I have a display case that I got from them that I might just butcher and turn it into a :tort: table LOL

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Laura said:

Solo excited? does that mean you are the one who is happy and the BF is not so? or was it a typo? HA!

Lol iPhone error :p guess they don't like that I added all the ooooooo to the end of "so" :p I'm soooooooo excited and he is the one who came up with the 2 story idea.I think he is getting into this ;)

phantoms said:
Great find. I was going to suggest Ikea cause I know they have stuff cheap there. I have a display case that I got from them that I might just butcher and turn it into a :tort: table LOL

Yeah I searched IKea first and was thinking about investing but then he came home with something better and I feel better about butchering something 2nd hand then butchering something brand new :p

image-1866208047.png

I hope the picture shows but here it is

image-2880768900.png

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
sulcatababies1402 said:
Laura said:

Lol iPhone error :p guess they don't like that I added all the ooooooo to the end of "so" :p I'm soooooooo excited and he is the one who came up with the 2 story idea.I think he is getting into this ;)

phantoms said:

Yeah I searched IKea first and was thinking about investing but then he came home with something better and I feel better about butchering something 2nd hand then butchering something brand new :p

View attachment 13324

I hope the picture shows but here it is

View attachment 13325

Oh now your torts are stylin...lol. That is beautiful and how it will more like a piece of furniture rather then a pet enclosure.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Can't wait to see it when you get it all set up. :tort:

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
FADE2BLACK_1973 said:
Oh now your torts are stylin...lol. That is beautiful and how it will more like a piece of furniture rather then a pet enclosure.

Yeah I think it's going to look lovely once we get finished :) reenforce the bak and add legs :D I'm super happy for them I can't wait till its done :)

Status
Not open for further replies.