Should I be concerned? (no weight gain)

SarahM82

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Valley Springs, CA
My baby hasn't gained any weight in 2 weeks. He/she hasn't lost either but there has been no gain. Here is his/her weight chart:

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462742395.908974.jpg

He/she is definitely eating as I witnessed it. Getting daily soaks, lots of natural sun and time to forage and exercise. He/she is eating and doing all the exact same things as my other 2 who continue to gain. He/she is still very active and still eating. There has been no change there or mood wise. Only in weight gain. Can this be normal? Here are the charts for my other 2: yellow is from the same clutch as orange (tort in question) and tortie is the tort we found in our field in early December as a hatchling.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462742784.488493.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462742805.678526.jpg

Tort in question also has a bit of pyramiding going on as he/she was one of the first to hatch from the clutch. When I went and got the 2 babies they were in a tank with fake grass in the bottom with a red light over them. Dry and not regularly soaked. Yellow baby was one of the last to hatch and still very tiny so it didn't have as much dry time. Could this be problems coming up from a super dry start? Since I've had them they stay in their enclosure that stays in the high 80s low 90s at 80-90% humidity with a basking spot of about 104. Soaked daily and fed a proper diet, daily with fresh water daily. Since it has been warm, the last few weeks they also have been spending more time in their outside enclosure.

Help. Is my baby okay?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462743190.482943.jpg

A pic of them all. Tortie on the bottom left. Orange tort is bottom right and yellow tort is top. We haven't given them names yet as I can't seem to come up with anything creative that is gender neutral- sigh lol. So for now they're just the 3 torts.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
are they being housed together?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Given the history of this baby, I think everything is okay. When they are going to have problems from a dry start they rarely make it past 50 grams. At over 100 grams, you are unlikely to have those issues.

They can lose 10-20 grams with one poop at that size. Give it another week...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You are weighing too frequently. At that weight a pee or a poop can make a massive difference.

Weigh fortnightly at most, monthly will do.

Try to do it at the same time of day each time for consistency. A tort's weight varies throughout the day, and from day to day, just like yours does. I like to weigh straight after the morning soak.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You are weighing too frequently. At that weight a pee or a poop can make a massive difference.

Weigh fortnightly at most, monthly will do.

Try to do it at the same time of day each time for consistency. A tort's weight varies throughout the day, and from day to day, just like yours does. I like to weigh straight after the morning soak.
I also read some dates wrong because, here in the UK, we put the day first and the month second. I see you're weighing weekly - which isn't so bad :)

SarahM82

5 Year Member
Valley Springs, CA
Thanks everyone. I'm trying not to worry as I know baby is definitely eating. I randomly weighed him/her on Tuesday just to see if there was any change and he/she had gained 2 grams so hopefully this Sunday we'll see more weight on this baby.