Shocking Video - Chef Making Turtle Soup

Status
Not open for further replies.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
sacramento california
i was preparing myself for a video from some asian market with turtles and various endangered animals hanging upside down still alive sweeew!! close one.

John

5 Year Member
Actually turtle soup is rather delicious, and you don't have to go to china, its served in some places right here in the states, in the south I believe its made from snapping turtles mainly.

GregUnd

5 Year Member
squamata said:
Actually turtle soup is rather delicious, and you don't have to go to china, its served in some places right here in the states, in the south I believe its made from snapping turtles mainly.

GregUnd stares straight faced at squamata

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Actually, snapping turtle is rather tasty but I think the soup made in the south is mostly softshelled turtle. In Florida recently, they have enacted rather strict harvesting laws across the board for all turtle species. Expect the price of soup to go up!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The video made me smile ;) Too cute.

People literally TORTURE me with the term "turtle soup." Non-turtle people don't understand my enthusiasm for chelonians, and think it is funny to throw that at me. I could never eat it, no matter how tasty it was. I wouldn't be able to get past envisioning just how the turtle died.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I had turtle stew once in Venezuela, while staying at a remote village in the Llanos. The people I was staying with knew I was allergic to fish (which they eat a lot), and said they would make some other kind of dish for me. I had expected a vegetable dinner, but they caught a South American painted turtle and put her in a stew with potatoes and seasonings. You could see the turtle's organs (that's how I knew it was a female), as well as her feet sticking up out of the broth. I was a bit taken aback, but not wanting to be rude, as well as being both hungry and curious, I ate it. It was actually quite good (it tasted like chicken).

I would not eat turtle again if I had the choice, not only because I'm a turtle fan, but also because turtles are not a sustainable fishery. Indigenous and rural people may hunt turtles, and I might, too, if I had to. But turtles don't reproduce as fast as fish, and so they are more susceptible to exploitation and endangerment when hunted, particularly if females are caught. Well, anyway, it was an interesting experience.

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I've had Sea Turtle Soup before in Tepoca, Mexico. Very much a living off what you can fish, kind of place. Unfortunately, I thought it was pretty good until they told me what it was. I don't know why people think it's funny to feed you something unusual without telling you what it is. :/

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
LOL very funny video :D.

I hate it when people tell me ''ah can I put Hermy in a turtle soup hahaha'' or ''turtle soup is goodd'' I just do not understand why would someone say that to a tortoise lover?!

BMXrDad

5 Year Member
Santa Clarita, CA
as long as their isnt tortoise soup im happy. snapping turtles are mean.
ps this is shea, starjelly, on my dads acount.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
GregUnd said:
squamata said:

GregUnd stares straight faced at squamata

What you dont like turtle soup ? :p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
squamata said:

I'll agree it is delicious, as is turtle Barbecued. My uncle-in-law made both all the time. He used snapper. At the time my oldest daughter would not touch ANY soup. One taste of turtle soup and she loved it.

A few years back here the Nebraska Fish and Game had a thing for women that had them fishing and basic survival type stuff. They had them catch and serve the softshell turtles.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Jacqui said:
I'll agree it is delicious, as is turtle Barbecued. My uncle-in-law made both all the time. He used snapper. At the time my oldest daughter would not touch ANY soup. One taste of turtle soup and she loved it.

A few years back here the Nebraska Fish and Game had a thing for women that had them fishing and basic survival type stuff. They had them catch and serve the softshell turtles.

Well, like I said ... Delicious: yes. Sustainable: no. It's one thing if you're using farm-reared animals, but continually catching turtles from the wild - whether for the pet trade or as food - would eventually lead to their extinction. Wild turtles just can't reproduce fast enough to keep up with human consumption.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Well, like I said ... Delicious: yes. Sustainable: no. It's one thing if you're using farm-reared animals, but continually catching turtles from the wild - whether for the pet trade or as food - would eventually lead to their extinction. Wild turtles just can't reproduce fast enough to keep up with human consumption.

That would also depend on what species, how much habitat they have, how much harvesting was allowed, population density, and so on the same as it is with any other animal or plant.

John

5 Year Member
Thats what I love about this forum, there is just a rainbow of opinions

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
You have no idea how bad this thread has been torturing me. Every time it poped up I would feel sick. I thought it was going to be so awful I was afraid to look. I finally decided to peek, just so I would quit worrying about what hidious sight I would see. Boy did you get me....and I am so glad it is not what I thought. I think I will be able to sleep tonight without nightmares :).

Status
Not open for further replies.