shipping a sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Has anyone ever shipped a 25 pound sulcata? I'm exploring possibilities of transporting in order to rehome one (not mine) as a favor to the owner.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Shipping an animal that size, I recommend Delta or another airline. Costs less usually and is the safest/ fastest way.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
We had a 32 pound sulcata shipped to us from Montana to CT. We used fedex reptile shipping dept.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Lg insulated box.. You can use fedex , ups but I recommend delta dash or another airline...had a few parrots shipped delta dash.. Had them in my hands in under 4 hrs...healthy and none the worse for wear

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Tony the tank said:
Lg insulated box.. You can use fedex , ups but I recommend delta dash or another airline...had a few parrots shipped delta dash.. Had them in my hands in under 4 hrs...healthy and none the worse for wear

That is really great!! I had no idea you could do that!!

dustee35

10 Year Member!
I have had numerous torts shipped to me and they all shipped them ups. they double boxed them and labeled them non-poisonous reptiles and used ups and overnighted them. They arrived in awsome condition the next morning by 10 am. Lucky came this last tuesday and he arrived in time for lunch in the yard. Deanna:D

dbeilfuss

5 Year Member
CtTortoiseMom said:
Tony the tank said:

That is really great!! I had no idea you could do that!!

We just picked up Sheldon (55lbs) from the Denver area. We drove with him the the back seat in a 144 gallon Rubbermaid container with the lid closed. I FREAKED when the lady at the reptile humane society closed the lid. She said that there was enough air in there to last him two weeks if needed. Because their respiratory system works differently than a mammals.

I tried leaving the lid on the 6 hrs it took to get home. He was actually more settled and comfy with the lid shut than when I left it open for him.
This place also ships them all over. They use Delta airlines as well. Just check on if you are required to get a travel cert from a vet? Some places require it. The Rep H.S. made it mandatory for all animals shipped from there.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.