Shiny Shell

Samparker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
Hey Guys!

Any recommendations on how to get a shiny healthy looking shell?

I read on a Facebook forum about people using sunflower oli but you guys are the experts?

Thanks

Sam & George the tortoise

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Give the coconut oil a try once and you'll never go back! My baby looks great after a good rub down! Plus, they can eat the stuff, so no problems there.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I'll 2 up you guys...why not just keep your tortoise correctly and allow him to be naturally healthy looking and pretty w/out greezing him all up...? Said with respect...

Importantly, greezed up surfaces reflect (don't absorb) uv radiation. Shiny torts/turts may be at risk for uvb deficiency...

BlakeElDorado

El Dorado Hills
I'll 2 up you guys...why not just keep your tortoise correctly and allow him to be naturally healthy looking and pretty w/out greezing him all up...? Said with respect...
I mean.... they are pets... if we're going down this rabbit hole... they shouldn't be living in our back yards eating Mazuri :rolleyes:... I'm a bit indifferent on the subject as long as its not causing the tort harm.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
I mean.... they are pets... if we're going down this rabbit hole... they shouldn't be living in our back yards eating Mazuri :rolleyes:... I'm a bit indifferent on the subject as long as its not causing the tort harm.

If it is keeping one from absorbing their needed UVB then it is causing harm.

BlakeElDorado

El Dorado Hills
If it is keeping one from absorbing their needed UVB then it is causing harm.
This was published in a science journal... and was conducted for a wholly unrelated topic (natural sunscreens used by humans) but shows that coconut oil has no impact on UV rays.

"Researchers in one study (Gause & Chauhan, 2016) found that natural oils are not suitable UV-blocking ingredients. They measured the UV absorptivity of aloe vera, canola oil, citronella oil, coconut oil, olive oil and soya bean oil and found that all of them did virtually nothing when it came to blocking UV. They concluded that their SPF would be very close to 1. This effectively means that these ingredients will do nothing to prevent reddening"

Again, I do this about once a year at most... just thought it was silly. I’m sure natural burrows and accurate climate and food have a larger net negative than a bit of oil on these guys.

EllyMae

Shellman, GA
This was published in a science journal... and was conducted for a wholly unrelated topic (natural sunscreens used by humans) but shows that coconut oil has no impact on UV rays.

"Researchers in one study (Gause & Chauhan, 2016) found that natural oils are not suitable UV-blocking ingredients. They measured the UV absorptivity of aloe vera, canola oil, citronella oil, coconut oil, olive oil and soya bean oil and found that all of them did virtually nothing when it came to blocking UV. They concluded that their SPF would be very close to 1. This effectively means that these ingredients will do nothing to prevent reddening"

Again, I do this about once a year at most... just thought it was silly. I’m sure natural burrows and accurate climate and food have a larger net negative than a bit of oil on these guys.

thank you! I always love the science!