She's confusing me...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I always thought mud turtles were pretty much carnivores and insectivores etc. But Millie seems to be biting the leaves of plants in her tank.
I didn't think she'd eat plants, so I have pothos having in her tank, and a peace lily in a perforated container: roots below the water level, but leaves above. Some of the peace lily leaves dip into the water, and I'm finding divots the size of a turtle mouth in the leaves- AND PIECES OF LEAF floating in the water!
She appears to be biting off bits of the peace lily repeatedly, but not swallowing it??
Should I put different plants in there?
Should I start feeding her plants? o_O

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Even biting peace lily can be a problem IF reptiles are indeed as susceptible to their oxalates the way mammals are (raphide crystals). I place my degree of concern on a continuum based on the reptile's size.

Other obligate carnivore species (cats, forex) enjoy greenery now and again. So I'd definitely make other edible water plants available to her.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I would, since that seems to be on her menu. One thing my water turtles just LOVE is the water hyacinth.
There's plenty of water hyacinth in our ditches- if I rinse it well, do you think it would be ok?

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I keep intending to acquire some duckweed to put in all of my turtle enclosures (spotteds, muds, boxie). I have yet to get around to it, though... but it's supposed to be safe, and I've heard many turtles like to dine on duckweed.