Sherlock May Need Some Help!

Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire, Portsmouth
Hi Guys, It appears that all the information I was given to look after this little ninja turtle may have been incorrect. Am now aware a full change in diet and home may be needed. Is the beech chip bedding/substrate correct this is the bedding they use in the pet store and also the bedding I was supplied with when I bought him. His hide moves daily as he climbs over it like a ninja.
On a side not the bulbs in the vivarium my be entirely wrong (they installed them) He is in a 36" x15" x15" Viv with a dimming thermostat. Is the Viv even correct, should be have tortoise table? The Bulb is a 60w reflector spot bulb and holder. Is that correct or is ceramic the way to go?
The strip light is a 30" 6.0% UVB strip. His water bowl was clean but he walked through it before I took the picture.
I will now also be bathing him everyday not once every few weeks like I was told originally. You guys have all been amazing with the support and advice so far especially @Yvonne G and @HermanniChris - can't thank you all enough. :) WP_20150327_22_42_57_Pro.jpg WP_20150327_22_43_48_Pro.jpg WP_20150327_22_44_01_Pro.jpg

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
That's a big guy! I wasn't expecting him to be that big when I went to open the pictures.

I would definitely buy or build something much larger. The food and water dish are pretty high off of the ground and may be difficult for your tortoise to get in and out of, I would switch it to what most people recommend on here which is a terracotta saucer.

Wood chips are generally not a good bedding - they mold, they don't hold in humidity well, and your guy will have a hard time digging if he wants to. Soil, cypress mulch, orchid bark, coco coir would be better choices.

What are the temps in there with those bulbs?

Good call with the soaks :)

ShannonC

South Carolina
My tortoises water bowls are never clean. He like to walk , pee or poop in them as soon as they are cleaned and returned.

Yeah, tell me about it! I finished getting everybody all fed and watered this morning, then came back by a little bit later to find a mud pie in my Russian's water dish!! I fussed at him, but he just climbed up closer to me and opened his mouth, wanting the violets I had in my hand......lol

ShannonC

South Carolina
A 4x8 enclosure will probably have to be built. If you are unable to build it yourself, maybe you could find a design you like and commission a cabinet shop to build it for you. (or ask a friend.....that would be cheaper....lol)

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Yeah, they don't really make viv's that big. The pre-made stuff is really unaccommodating for tortoises.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Some people purchase large bookcases and lie them flat, taking out the shelves. This can be a good start and is how I began.