Shelves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewster320

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts, USA
I'm in the process if building a new indoor enclosure for my RT Lucy and I've been toying with the idea of adding a shelf to makes a second level. Just wanted to see who else has done this and what you guys do to keep the tortoise from falling off the ramp and/or the shelf it's self.

Also any good ideas for burrows that an adult Russian could use? I'm using 6 inches of substrate and I'd like to try to make a subterranean burrow to help maximize roaming area.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Hi, I kind of had a second level in the old enclosure which worked quite well and the torts quickly mastered the ramp. Although I cheated as mines was the old viv laid on top of an upturned book case with a ramp lol. I just attached planks of wood along the edges to prevent any bungee jumping lol.
I've been toying with the idea of using some of that big flexi pipe stuff that you sometimes see on building sites (stuff with ridges) and running it under the substrate for more permanent hides and tunnels. Don't know if that's the sort of thing you mean but could be fun :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Lots of members have done a second level. You should be able to find some pics in the enclosure threads.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I just added the second level yesterday.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1374093594.606003.jpg
still working on details. The humid spot is under the first floor which is very nice and the ramps serve as hiding areas too.ImageUploadedByTortForum1374093666.960684.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1374093680.905577.jpg

I forgot to mentioned that it's not hard for them to get used to the ramp. My sullies love to climb. I remove not to make two ramps bc they seem to like it better. personal preference as well as easy access and movement.
I recommend to put barriers on the areas where there is not ramp ( walls) that can be dangerous for them to fall. After I put them back from outside I monitor them often just because I didn't want them to fall and land in their back.
I hope this is helpful. My inside enclosure is 25"X25" and they are 3 sulcatas about 3" long. Just to give you and idea :0))

Last edited by a moderator:

Brewster320

5 Year Member
Massachusetts, USA
Evy said:
I just added the second level yesterday.

still working on details. The humid spot is under the first floor which is very nice and the ramps serve as hiding areas too.

I forgot to mentioned that it's not hard for them to get used to the ramp. My sullies love to climb. I remove not to make two ramps bc they seem to like it better. personal preference as well as easy access and movement.
I recommend to put barriers on the areas where there is not ramp ( walls) that can be dangerous for them to fall. After I put them back from outside I monitor them often just because I didn't want them to fall and land in their back.
I hope this is helpful. My inside enclosure is 25"X25" and they are 3 sulcatas about 3" long. Just to give you and idea :0))

Thanks for the answer! What do you have on the ramp and shelf? Is that carpet?

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
The lining is thin carpet. I saw someone who have thick carpet on the second level and rubber mat in the ramps but I couldn't find it at Home Depot.

My loves:
Husband
2 dogs Blue and Baxter
3 sulcatas Donatello, Penny, and Charlie.

dwright27

5 Year Member
Just thought I'd mention that I got a couple sheets of self-sticking carpet like that from the dollar store. I haven't used it yet but making a ramp is the intention =)

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
That should work [WINKING FACE]

My loves:
Husband
2 dogs Blue and Baxter
3 sulcatas Donatello, Penny, and Charlie.

Status
Not open for further replies.