Shell spots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuri2012

5 Year Member
Hey Guys.

Does my turtle's shell look odd? He's always had some white and brown spots on his shell but recently it's seemed like they've gotten larger or more obvious. I've had him for 3 months.

Any ideas?

Look at the picture and let me know.

Attachments

• 2012-06-02_14-52-49_79.jpg
    2012-06-02_14-52-49_79.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 224

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
If you mean the white lines, thats his growth lines.

yuri2012

5 Year Member
Jacob said:
If you mean the white lines, thats his growth lines.

No Sir, I mean the white SPOTS in the middle of the shell. They look like white circles. It's about 6 total in a circular motion evenly distributed on TOP of the shell...

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
What do they look like when the shell is wet? I don't think that there's any cause for alarm.

yuri2012

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
What do they look like when the shell is wet? I don't think that there's any cause for alarm.

They look the same when they're dry or wet. I touched it and applied some pressure with my finger and its not soft or weird feeling. It just feels like it's part of the shell but on the surface, by looking at the picture I attached, the white spots seem like some of the black coloring on top came off the shell or something.

yuri2012 said:
yagyujubei said:

They look the same when they're dry or wet. I touched it and applied some pressure with my finger and its not soft or weird feeling. It just feels like it's part of the shell but on the surface, by looking at the picture I attached, the white spots seem like some of the black coloring on top came off the shell or something.

Here are 2 more pictures of a close up of his shell while he was eating...

Attachments

• 2012-06-02_16-51-00_317.jpg
    2012-06-02_16-51-00_317.jpg
    998.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 2012-06-02_16-51-33_825.jpg
    2012-06-02_16-51-33_825.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 114

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Yuri2012:

Russian tortoises go through an awful lot when caught, stored then shipped. What you see looks absolutely normal for a wild caught Russian tortoise.

yuri2012

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Yuri2012:

Russian tortoises go through an awful lot when caught, stored then shipped. What you see looks absolutely normal for a wild caught Russian tortoise.

Hi, Thanks for the response. Do you know what they might be? Is he growing too fast or eating too much? If this is normal that's fine but can I get others with experience to confirm or deny that?

Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The white spots are chips out of the top layer of carotene, with the dead bone (the actual white spot) showing through. Eventually new bone and carotene will grow under that white spot and it will raise up above the existing shell and chip off...but it takes a long time, maybe years.

yuri2012

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
The white spots are chips out of the top layer of carotene, with the dead bone (the actual white spot) showing through. Eventually new bone and carotene will grow under that white spot and it will raise up above the existing shell and chip off...but it takes a long time, maybe years.

Ok thanks for the insight. Is this routine and normal for him to chip like this? Does he need more light or rays or better food? Or should I completely not worry about this anymore?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is old damage that happened during capture and shipping. There is nothing you can do about it.

wpeltola

5 Year Member
Indiana
Are you guys sure that's not old shell-rot that is healing up?? Not that it matters since it's not soft and healing on it's own ;) Can you post of pic of the underside shell?
- BP

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yeah, it does look like some keratin has been stripped off the center of some scutes. Could be due to shipping after being caught from the wild, or due to crashing into things in captivity. Many tortoises have one or two chips like that, but I count 7 there, so looks he's really gotten banged up. Make sure there's nothing in the environment he can get in trouble with. Otherwise, just make sure he has a good substrate and diet so he can heal from them, and he should be fine.

yuri2012

5 Year Member
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Yeah, it does look like some keratin has been stripped off the center of some scutes. Could be due to shipping after being caught from the wild, or due to crashing into things in captivity. Many tortoises have one or two chips like that, but I count 7 there, so looks he's really gotten banged up. Make sure there's nothing in the environment he can get in trouble with. Otherwise, just make sure he has a good substrate and diet so he can heal from them, and he should be fine.

That's good that you guys confirmed this - I'm just happy it's not a more serious condition like shell rot. And yea I'm working to make sure he's properly fed and all that so he can heal. Thanks to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.