Shell splitting

Tortugafan

Location (City and/or State)
NY
DD2A1B7A-1733-46B1-98AD-AC7599B0F5CA.jpeg
Our Russian tortoise seems to be having an issue with her shell, the back left portion is splitting. She also has a large space between her parts of her shell on the top (growth area I assume but disproportionate to the rest of them) Does anyone know what is happening to her shell and how to help correct for it? Thanks. Wondering if it is too hot or dry in her habitat?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
She is having serious issues. I'm thinking it's too hot AND dry. Do you soak her at all? In a way it looks like dry rot...@Yvonne will know...can you gently scrape an see if it is 'crumbling'

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hard to see the 'real picture' but it looks to me as if new growth was happening UNDER the existing layer and it eventually forced the existing top layer to pop open. If you clean out all the substrate in the crack I THINK you'll see the new growth inside there.

Tortugafan

NY
Hard to see the 'real picture' but it looks to me as if new growth was happening UNDER the existing layer and it eventually forced the existing top layer to pop open. If you clean out all the substrate in the crack I THINK you'll see the new growth inside there.
Yes there is substrate in the crack, we are going to change out the tank and give her a soak tomorrow. Is it normal to get growth underneath? Does that mean she is ok? She has gotten bigger, could she be eating too much? I’ll post another pic then.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
New growth generally occurs between the scutes right alongside the existing. But for some unknown reason, this is different. I don't think it's anything to worry about. She really has shown big growth spurts

Tortugafan

NY
New growth generally occurs between the scutes right alongside the existing. But for some unknown reason, this is different. I don't think it's anything to worry about. She really has shown big growth spurts
819DFB2E-75E9-4CF7-B352-600E4F86828F.jpegBDB7E973-C24A-4796-9C54-E42BB1DABC50.jpegBC42972D-62CD-4FDF-A0A8-F3082D1B523F.jpeg05456EC0-E213-4AEA-A0EB-EAF51C1A4171.jpeg
It looks a bit better after a soak. Do you think it is new growth? Also is it normal to have such a big space between scutes? Is that one large area of growth? Thanks for your help ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No it's not normal. Here's my GUESS on the issue. This little tortoise lived for a long time with little or no food. Just enough to stay alive. Then, all of a sudden he's got more food than he knows what to do with.

Russian tortoises come from an area with sparse edible vegetation, so when they find a food source they eat a lot. Since he's growing so quickly and unevenly, I would back off a bit on the feeding, only giving him a handful about the size of his shell daily.