Shell Shape

Fireflyfarm

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1386874606.829049.jpg
My Redfoot has a ridge that has developed on his shell. Should we be concerned? It seems to be worsening.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Stephanie (or Severn):

Are you referring to what looks like an indent across the front of the carapace? I've never seen that before. Just be sure you are doing everything according to what the tortoise needs. That's really the best you can do.

milkandsam

5 Year Member
My hatchling Greek has a similar, albeit much smaller indent in a similar place. I will try to post a picture if I can get one.. Since he and the indentation are so small! I have been wondering what it was as well. Granted my Thor's might go away as he grows... Sorry I can't help!

Fireflyfarm

5 Year Member
Yes Yvonne, that's what I'm referring to. I've looked at a lot of Redfoot pics and haven't seen any that pronounced. We keep them moist. The other Redfoot doesn't have it. Perhaps it's genetic, but I wanted to run it by more experienced handlers to see if they recognized a problem we are missing. They both eat and drink well and are active. Hopefully it's nothing.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
It could be a defect. I saw a sully that was indented because the egg was hit by a rock.

Fireflyfarm

5 Year Member
I guess something like that is possible, we didn't hatch them, but it sounds like there are no health risks...for now anyway. Thanks to all who tried to help. We're loving these redfoots and we're preparing to take in a couple more torts. Hopefully a new species. Thanks to all again!

abclements

5 Year Member
My rf had that just on the front schute when I got him. Since then (about a year) it is all but gone. I don't know how it happens, but the crease will hopefully not grow with the tort and become too small to notice as yours grows.

Fireflyfarm

5 Year Member
Thanks abclements, I just want to be sure he's healthy. Hopefully he outgrows it, but if he doesn't, it'll give him character.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Like abclements said, I had one that looked similar and it's now gone.