Shell rot!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Shell rot happens because the tortoise has been sitting on wet substrate for a long time. It hardly ever happens on the carapace unless you've had him under wet moss all the time.

Yes, that sort of looks like shell rot, but my guess is its just old scrapes and injuries from previous hard treatment. If you are really worried about it, you should take him in to be seen by a good tortoise vet.

rebeccamurray

Shell rot happens because the tortoise has been sitting on wet substrate for a long time. It hardly ever happens on the carapace unless you've had him under wet moss all the time.

Yes, that sort of looks like shell rot, but my guess is its just old scrapes and injuries from previous hard treatment. If you are really worried about it, you should take him in to be seen by a good tortoise vet.
Thanks I will do that

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Looks like old injury spots that have healed/ are healing over....I would just keep him warm water flushed once or twice a day and would see how he progresses ....

rebeccamurray

Looks like old injury spots that have healed/ are healing over....I would just keep him warm water flushed once or twice a day and would see how he progresses ....
Thanks will do that I have an appointment next week with the vets just to be on the safe side a wud be totally devastated if anything happened to her. Thanks again