Shell Rot?

rebeccalynn1208

I don't see shell rot here...I see hard water build up.....you really want to be careful to "treat just incase" because you need to prep the enclosure for treating...you will need to reduce the humidity dramatically, you will want to let the substrate dry up for a while and you will want to remove the water dish during treatment (you do not want this tort soaking in the water dish and ingesting any of the cream as there are health risk associated with its ingestion) ..

I would suggest that daily you offer a warm water bath for this tort and use water that is not from the tap....use a soft toothbrush and gently scrub ONE side of the tort and keep track of the difference in appearance, the hard water lines will take a bit to remove...see what I see here is water build up on the shell and not damage coming from the shell out....

Please don't just do something "just because" when there are potential stress that can be put on the tort....also, I wonder why you have selected the vet you have chosen to care for the tortoise if you are not willing to take their observation as well???? I mean, if you trust the vet to care for the tort then why would you take the advice over the internet from folks who have not seen the torts shell IN PERSON as the vet has...and then the vets observation is hard water issue and not shell rot??? I am by no means a cheerlead for vets, by no means, but just curious :D
Thank you very much for this. The reason is slightly personal but I'll tell it anyhow It isn't that I don't trust the vet, it is that I don't trust my father who promised he took her in while I was away at my moms for the week. But this isn't the first time he has told me things just to get out of spending extra cash, and he had no papers to back it up so I just wasn't sure. I may not be the most experienced, but trust that I won't never do anything "just because" or rash as they are live creatures I will try the advise you have because I am still hopeful that it isn't shell rot.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Ahhhh, I see...you could always call the vet yourself and check him, I would :D I still feel the same on the tort....and I hope you understand that my voicing what I did was from a place of curiosity and not any other place ...

rebeccalynn1208

Ahhhh, I see...you could always call the vet yourself and check him, I would :D I still feel the same on the tort....and I hope you understand that my voicing what I did was from a place of curiosity and not any other place ...
Don't worry I understand completely! :) I'll try the warm water and scrubbing for a few weeks and post back in time!