Shell rot?

tortnmutt

Location (City and/or State)
Washington Coast
Relatively new tort owner (4 months) and I've noticed his shell starting to peel on his belling and some discoloration on the top of his shell. Sorry I don't know their official terms. I got him for my classroom where I teach special education and the kids apply to be his limited caretaker (feeding mostly).
I got him from a local family who was looking to rehome him because he wasn't getting the attention he deserved. They got him at a petco 3 years ago. I live in rural WA with no tort vet nearby so any treatments I can do at home with things that are readily available would be great!! ImageUploadedByTortForum1392507664.891894.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392507684.574594.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392507701.225328.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Doesn't look like shell rot. Looks like the typical shell of a wild caught imported tortoise. They take a bit of a beating either in the wild or on their way over here sometimes. He might have also been chewed on by a dog at some point in the past.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Looks like an area that has had friction in the past...but appears to be old injury site....possibly crossed rough surface on a routine basis where he came from....I would just keep an eye on it from time to time to assure that gunk does not get trapped in the flaking and start a bacterial issue....

tortnmutt

Washington Coast
Awwhhh poor Shelldon was wild?! I hate people. It has chipped some more since I've had him but not significantly. I'm having a terrible time keeping his enclosure above 20% humidity. Ive read that adults are more hardy so I'm going to try and make a top to help keep the humidity in.
He's also very inactive. I have to wake him up to feed him. I've been soaking him every other day and letting him crawl around but he just finds somewhere to crawl in. I think he really wanted to hibernate but he was in no condition to when I got him.

And he's got a bowl of water in his house to help with the humidity but thinks its a death trap. I'll put him in it and you've never seen him move faster to get out.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
You may need to put a humid hide in your enclosure. Or possibly add a humidifier to the room.

tortnmutt

Washington Coast
Being in the Pacific Northwest it's plenty humid. When his lights aren't on the humidity goes up to 60%. I can't add a humidifier to the room because he's in my classroom 5 days of the week.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Have you tried other types if substrate like Eco Earth?

Also is he only being feed 5 days a week ? How is he feed on the weekends?

tortnmutt

Washington Coast
He comes home with me on the weekends usually. If not then I'll "plant" broccoli trees and leave little piles of his salad mix around his house.

kezilulu

I'm sure I've read broccoli isn't brilliant for Russian's and it's a treat once every few months rather than a regular feed?!
xXx