Shell Rot?

Zik

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Hi fellows,

I just noticed today that the shell of Flash, my Brazilian RF had some changes in its shell. Can you confirm if it's shell rot? I have 3 other RFs aside from Flash and they are in diff. enclosures, Flash is living alone in its own enclosure. It really made me panic when I saw this, I've attached the photos that I took awhile ago.

TIA,
Zik

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not sure what it is, possibly a fungus. With RF, they are prone to shell rot. So to keep humidity up, and not cause the rot, keep the top layer dry, while wetting the bottom layers. This can be done by pairing water into the corners. If it is a fungus, which it doesn't look like shell rot, a cream like what is used for athletes foot can be applied. See what others think.

Zik

10 Year Member!
Philippines
Thank you for your response, Wellington.
Could the reason be dirty/unchanged substrate? When I got him and set up his enclosure, I put coco peat on the flooring inside his cave/hide. And I always keep it sort of damp.

For the treatment, I'll buy a cream for Athlete's foot that is used for humans and apply it on the parts where it has those white stuff. Right? I am really nervous, I don't want something serious to happen to my RF. Ever since I've been keeping Reddies, this is the first time I've encountered this.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Zik said:
Thank you for your response, Wellington.
Could the reason be dirty/unchanged substrate? When I got him and set up his enclosure, I put coco peat on the flooring inside his cave/hide. And I always keep it sort of damp.

For the treatment, I'll buy a cream for Athlete's foot that is used for humans and apply it on the parts where it has those white stuff. Right? I am really nervous, I don't want something serious to happen to my RF. Ever since I've been keeping Reddies, this is the first time I've encountered this.

Moist conditions are fine, not damp. Just rub the foot cream on the shell and plastron so that a fine film is on there. Place the tort in a drier enclosure for the time being. I believe I've read somewhere that the foot cream won't have negative effects on the tortoise even if that isn't fungal. You seem to have caught it before it got pretty bad. I'd apply the cream after daily soaks for a week. Even when it looks clear, I'd keep the cream on just in case.

Zik

10 Year Member!
Philippines
pfara said:
Moist conditions are fine, not damp. Just rub the foot cream on the shell and plastron so that a fine film is on there. Place the tort in a drier enclosure for the time being. I believe I've read somewhere that the foot cream won't have negative effects on the tortoise even if that isn't fungal. You seem to have caught it before it got pretty bad. I'd apply the cream after daily soaks for a week. Even when it looks clear, I'd keep the cream on just in case.

Thank you, Pfara! I will keep everything that you've said in my mind. I'll apply foot cream tomorrow on the affected areas starting tomorrow. Been busy lately with my thesis that's why I still need to buy the cream tomorrow. :( I am really mentally stressed that this happened to my Flash, I hope I can get rid of it soon.

Zik

10 Year Member!
Philippines
Bumping this thread guys.

Due to a very busy and hectic schedule at the meantime, I was only able to apply foot cream on the infected parts twice. I noticed that the color of the "infections" was initially/originally like ivory white, and earlier today I saw it was turning into a flesh color or a very very light pink color. And some of the infected area seems to have lessened (Am not even sure if that's possible that it lessened after less than week, but that's what my eyes noticed). Concerning his/her eating habits, s/he is eating just as much as she was before s/he got sick.

I've transferred him to an elongated plastic bin which will serve as his/her temporary enclosure for the meantime while s/he is under recovery. The enclosure has a water dish, a feeding dish, and a basking spot lamp on one end, no substrates at the moment. This is my first time experiencing a tortoise with fungus problem and I am really worried and I will do anything just to get him/her back to proper health. Should I use any substrate? And should the enclosure be dry or wet during the treatment? As of now, the floor is bare, meaning there are no substrates or whatsoever just the plain bare floor of the plastic bin.

To those who has the knowledge and can share some regarding this situation, please do so. Please help me get Flash into full recovery. I don't want to lose him/her. :(