Shell rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninjacheese

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
Haven't seen this before on Frodo, so I'm kinda freaking out. He has these spots and small white pits.

Attachments

• DSC_9552.jpg
    DSC_9552.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_9555.jpg
    DSC_9555.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_9553.jpg
    DSC_9553.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 65

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So, I don't see anything that would freak me out...:p although, I would like to see a clearer pic of the plastron please.....the one here is just not clear and bright enough for this old lady vision (even with the old lady glasses I slipped on)....lol

Ninjacheese

5 Year Member
Norway
ascott said:
So, I don't see anything that would freak me out...:p although, I would like to see a clearer pic of the plastron please.....the one here is just not clear and bright enough for this old lady vision (even with the old lady glasses I slipped on)....lol

when I can borrow a better camera I will post better pictures of it. :shy:
his behaviour and eating habits seem healthy, and haven't changed at all. I guess I'm just a worried tort-mom. :p
I bathed him and sofly brushed the areas I thought looked suspicious. some white rubber-ish stuff came off (there wasn't very much of it...)
as long as it doesn't look worse later on, I guess its nothing bad.
its my first tortoise and his previous owner treated him really badly for at least 8 years. I'm surprised that he is still alive after what he've been through, so I look out for everything that might be wrong.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I could see a few spots, but, sorry I couldn't really say if it is or isn't. See what others say, and def keep an eye on it.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Better safe than sorry. It does look to me like very early onset of shell rot.

Bathe the affected area in a betadine/water solution (it should look like weak tea.) Only use this ONCE as it is harsh and can kill living cells and hinder healing. Then apply athlete's foot cream to the spots daily for a week or so. Soaks are still fine, just dry him thoroughly (setting them out in the sun to dry for a half an hour or so works well) and reapply the cream once dry.

Ninjacheese

5 Year Member
Norway
Kristina said:
Better safe than sorry. It does look to me like very early onset of shell rot.

Bathe the affected area in a betadine/water solution (it should look like weak tea.) Only use this ONCE as it is harsh and can kill living cells and hinder healing. Then apply athlete's foot cream to the spots daily for a week or so. Soaks are still fine, just dry him thoroughly (setting them out in the sun to dry for a half an hour or so works well) and reapply the cream once dry.

I'll see what I can do. I live in a small city on an island in northern norway... We don't have much hot weather, and no good range in these kind of products.

Status
Not open for further replies.