Shell rot or dog chewed on it?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Had a local person reach out and ask me about this spot on their torts shell, I’ve not seen this before. I also suspect a dog could’ve chewed on it, he said the dog got out last weekend. Can I get some suggestions and remedies?

IMG_3145.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Shell rot happens on the bottom shell. Something chewed on that poor tortoise.
Let them no the enclosure needs to be dog/animal proof. Clean it up and put Neosporin on it daily for a couple weeks then just let it heal. Be sure to keep flies and dirt out of it.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Shell rot happens on the bottom shell. Something chewed on that poor tortoise.
Let them no the enclosure needs to be dog/animal proof. Clean it up and put Neosporin on it daily for a couple weeks then just let it heal. Be sure to keep flies and dirt out of it.
I agree that something has most likely chewed on it, he sent a few other pictures and it’s all around the open edges.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Dogs chew on tortoises. And not just "bad" dogs. All dogs seem to think a tortoise is a great chew toy.
So, even the most docile. Most gentle and best behaved dogs can not be trusted near a tortoise.
This is extremely common, unfortunately

Last edited:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I recommend Cleaning it up with Luke.warm water and a toothbrush brush, drying it good and adding neosporin, thoughts?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Maybe you could gently but firmly advise the owner about correct care of the tortoise, apart from the dog mauling, as there are obviously other issues of incorrect husbandry.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Maybe you could gently but firmly advise the owner about correct care of the tortoise, apart from the dog mauling, as there are obviously other issues of incorrect husbandry.
Definitely, he’s a military buddy of mine and until recently we had no clue each other had tortoises, I’ve already been helping him with things. I hate this happened to his tortoise but fortunately it’s cosmetic and the tortoise will be fine.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's been kept too dry, that's certain. Hope you can help him improve things. Thanks for caring!

Reactions: Ink

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Definitely, he’s a military buddy of mine and until recently we had no clue each other had tortoises, I’ve already been helping him with things. I hate this happened to his tortoise but fortunately it’s cosmetic and the tortoise will be fine.
Tortoise will ready have had a tough experience while it happened so it will be very scared. As suggest clean it up, protect it with cream and ensure correct set up is on place and dog / animal proof. Hides are important etc.. .