Shell Question

Sterant

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albany, NY
Hello all,
Take a look at this image. This is a 5 year old, 11"SCL female radiated tortoise. Raised the last 2 years in a VERY hot and VERY dry desert area. Kept on dry dirt/sand. I have her now in a cooler (80's) and more humid (50 - 65%) environment. I am looking for opinions on what this shell issue is. Fungal infection? You can see the inclusions at the scute boundary, but the shell had plenty of rough areas.

Thoughts?
IMG_1453.JPG
Dan

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
likely to be of minimal concern. If you want, you can apply Clotrimazole cream to the area every day for 4-6 weeks. If it is fungal, it will resolve, if it isn't won't cause any harm.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dan, and welcome to the Forum! It looks like you're going to be a valued member here. I hope you share with us.

It looks to me as if it has been bumped...a minor crushing type injury...not even as serious as a human skinned knee.

Last edited:

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Thanks Evan.

Thanks Yvonne.

Thanks Gramp.

The whole shell has little spots like this. I am guessing it was breeding activity from the big male she lived with (which I also have). I might treat a spot of it as Evan suggests to see if anything happens. Doesn't look like an infection to me - just damage as Yvonne mentioned. I will see how it goes.

Thanks all and Yes, I will share!

Dan Sterantino

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Here is a better picture of the shell condition. Over 25% of the scute boundaries.
(yes - I can post pics of both of them....will get some pics taken today)

IMG_1456.JPG

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread. There is also a section on "Tortoises Health" which you can check. :)

Sorry, can't help you more than that.:( Apologies.