shell problems?

alise

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg i got this little guy a month or so ago and im a bit worried about his shell. i took him (and the other one you might be able to see in the background of the photos) from a family member who didnt want them anymore and they didnt take very good care of them. theyre eastern box turtles and theyre about 2 years old i think. does anyone know if theres some sort of deficiency i should be worried about and what i should be doing to help fix it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The shell shows the effects of poor care under his previous keeper. All you can do is give him the right care from now on. The shell will always look slightly deformed.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Aww! Poor guys! Now they are in good hands :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lack of humidity, poor diet ,and no uvb . Box turtles love marshy areas .They eat bugs,worms,snails,greens,and even small fish . They love wooded shady areas with a swampy area . If you make a outdoor setup be sure to make a cover for it. Plant it heavily with a small pond not deep just a wading pool .

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
To phrase, "they haven't seen the light of day!" Mike is right, the outdoors and proper diet will do wonders for their overall health. I suggest the care sheet composed by the great members at TF if your not experienced with box turtles.