Harper-the growing machine

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Harper is nine months old this week! She's growing like a weed....(hehe). She soaks herself reg, drinks on her own, eats cuttlebone on her own & is not a picky eater at all.
Last month she weighed in at 317, & today she is at 404 g! She is now 5.5 inches. She has been getting some out side time with recent good weather & turns out shes a lawn mower in training, eats everything including lots of grass. Its pretty funny to watch actually cause it seems like she gets so excited & doesn't know what to eat first. I swear I feed her!

15yz1op.jpg

Temp out side space is 5x10

IM

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I know! I had planned to built an 20 x 20 predator & neighbor proof enclosure with an additional fenced in area out there, but now I am making it much bigger. Landscaper came out this weekend to layout my yard & we will get a later start on it since the little monster looks like shes gonna need more room sooner rather than latter.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Looks great and cute. I love to have the space you have for this guy.

I have a 14 month old one is already weight over 1 kg.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Harper is nine months old this week! She's growing like a weed....(hehe). She soaks herself reg, drinks on her own, eats cuttlebone on her own & is not a picky eater at all.

Yep. Sounds like a sulcata.

1. Growing like a weed? Check.
2. Eats and drinks a lot? Check.
3. Mows down the cuttle bones? Check.
4. Not picky? Check.
5. Eats all the grass and everything in sight like a lawn mower? Check.

Unmistakeable. You HAVE a sulcata. :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yep. Sounds like a sulcata.

1. Growing like a weed? Check.
2. Eats and drinks a lot? Check.
3. Mows down the cuttle bones? Check.
4. Not picky? Check.
5. Eats all the grass and everything in sight like a lawn mower? Check.

Unmistakeable. You HAVE a sulcata. :)
Following Dr Tom's diagnosis, I await the news of a sulcata sized hole being bulldozed through your fence in the coming months ;) :D

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
What all does she eat? I'm having trouble getting my 9 month old to eat grass.

She has not refused anything yet. Eats a lot of grass, mulbery leaves, plantain leaves, dandelion, broad leave seed mix grew in great & she mows that down. Loves squash leaves....its a pretty long list :) first got her eating grass by cutting it up & mixing with mazuri.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Following Dr Tom's diagnosis, I await the news of a sulcata sized hole being bulldozed through your fence in the coming months ;) :D

Totally. I am actually on my way home witha bunch of lumber for her future home!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lismar, Where did you get your tortoise? How was she started?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Lismar, Where did you get your tortoise? How was she started?

I got harper from a guy on here named adam in michigan. He, I believe, got her ( or him) from Lance, at least that is what I was told. Hatched on 8/11/13. Adam feed her a diet of weeds, spring mix, and mazuri. Kept her at 80% humidity. I have added more to her diet & kept in a 6x3 enclosed table at 80% with a solar rapter uv. Out side she is in a 8x14 for now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lance does an EXCELLENT job of starting his babies and it sounds like Adam did a good job of continuing what Lance started.

For the second time today: Methinks your success is no coincidence.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Lance does an EXCELLENT job of starting his babies and it sounds like Adam did a good job of continuing what Lance started.

For the second time today: Methinks your success is no coincidence.

Thank you, I seen what baddddd care does with the rescue I lost. Spent 4 months in & out of vets & lost him. Broke my heart :( I am making sure this little one does not go through that.

Size wise, is she big for her age? Tried to do some research but conditions seem to factor in too much to get a realistic baseline.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Size wise, is she big for her age? Tried to do some research but conditions seem to factor in too much to get a realistic baseline.

No. Not at all. My last batch ranged from 500-800 grams at 10 months old, if I recall correctly. At 12 months they were all around 800-1000+.

It is my opinion that the growth you are seeing is "normal". The slower growth that occurs with the same amount and type of food in dry conditions is slow, and not in a good way, as some people assume.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Thanks Tom. Im guessing she will be 650g by her 10mnth. We will see.