Shell Fungus or something else (pics inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatDamnSasquatch

5 Year Member
So my RF had smaller white specs develop at some of the seams along his shell, and originally they looked quite similar to new shell growth, so I wasn't concerned, but over the last week or two, they have begun to look different. I am afraid he has shell fungus, and I would like help confirming, and getting feedback on the best way to treat. He is in a habitat with three other RFs but none of them have had anything at all like this, not a speck.

20130717_182735_zpsaeff89ad.jpg

20130717_182740_zps1f22e764.jpg

20130717_182746_zps3b85b8fa.jpg

20130717_182802_zpsba4523f4.jpg

tortoiseowner101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Abu Dhabi ,UAE
The truth that I don't know if it is fungus.
Just to make sure, apply betadine solution on the white areas
What a cute tortoise !

ThatDamnSasquatch

5 Year Member
I am just concerned because it looks like the shell is "dead" in those spots now, and I didn't want to leave anything untreated if it's something bad.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Is your redfoot a cherryhead? First pic looks like the beginning of marbling. But I agree with Eric.. looks more like new growth.

ThatDamnSasquatch

5 Year Member
pfara said:
Is your redfoot a cherryhead? First pic looks like the beginning of marbling. But I agree with Eric.. looks more like new growth.

Yes, it is a cherryhead.

What is marbling? I am unfamiliar with it.

I hope you guys are right. I had just misted them down when I took the time to take the photos, I may wait a bit till it dries out some and then take another series of pictures when the shell is dry to see if the consensus is still new growth. Fingers crossed you all are right.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Cherryheads are known to marble. Like marble (the rock), cherryheads' shells can have streaks or splotches of white in them. Perfectly normal. Lots of people on here would kill for a marbling cherry because they love the look of it. Search "marbling" on the forum and see what comes up. Then you'll know for sure that the white is new growth. Lucky you.. congrats!

ThatDamnSasquatch

5 Year Member
pfara said:
Cherryheads are known to marble. Like marble (the rock), cherryheads' shells can have streaks or splotches of white in them. Perfectly normal. Lots of people on here would kill for a marbling cherry because they love the look of it. Search "marbling" on the forum and see what comes up. Then you'll know for sure that the white is new growth. Lucky you.. congrats!

I just had my mind blown. Thanks for the information!

After looking into it, these characteristics seem to be identical with other "marbling" CH's. So relieved!

Its interesting that this one and another that I have are both from the same clutch of eggs, and this one is experiencing marbling and the other has shown no signs. I'll be interested to see if the other, which is growing a bit slower, happens to start showing the same traits down the road.

Thanks again guys, a huge relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.