Shell discolouration and whistling

Lewis516

Location (City and/or State)
Bristol
Hello, my tort has has a bit of a whistle for quite a while now, admittedly humidity has been a but low as its been difficult for me to maintain. However he's been more than active, always drinking, always eating, temps are good and im in the process of building a bigger table for him as this one is too small for him. Any advice/opinions on what could be causing the whistling would be appreciated.

This is my first tort and im always learning new things everyday. His shell's primary colours are black brown and like a yellow, when bathing him earlier i noticed black straight lines and patches of grey around his shell. He's a hermanns for reference just wondering if his shell is supposed to go like this or if there are any issues thanks.

Attachments

• 20231001_113356.jpg
    20231001_113356.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231001_112445.jpg
    20231001_112445.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231001_112352.jpg
    20231001_112352.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20231001_112325.jpg
    20231001_112325.jpg
    590.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231001_112322.jpg
    20231001_112322.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231001_112318.jpg
    20231001_112318.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231001_112315.jpg
    20231001_112315.jpg
    698.7 KB · Views: 3

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
He looks ok to me, with some slight pyramiding. An expert will be able to help you with the whistling noise. What are the temperatures and humidity

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He looks fine.
What kind of substrate are you using?
What are the temps, day, night, basking?
What kind of bulbs/heat are you using?
What size enclosure?
List the diet items.

Reactions: Ink

Lewis516

Bristol
He looks ok to me, with some slight pyramiding. An expert will be able to help you with the whistling noise. What are the temperatures and humidity

Cool ares from 20 to 25°c, basking is usually 37°c. Humidity is between 40 and 75 percent. Any ideas how i can get better humidity levels with an open top table?

He Looks fine.

What size enclosure?

List the diet items.

Humidity is anywhere betwn 40 and 75 some days its

Hard to keep up others pretty easy. Temps are 20-25°c in the cool areas 37°c basking

Last edited by a moderator:

Lewis516

Bristol
He looks fine.

What size enclosure?

List the diet items.

Night time averages at 20°c but he does have a heat mat set to 27°c, using a floodlight for 12 hour heat and a uvb strip light for 4 hours a day. Using a coco coir/forest terrain bark mix for substrate. Current enclosure is about 1.2m length and 40cm width, i am in the process of moving once im moved I'll be upgrading to a 2m length and 60cm to 1m width. Diet very poor as i am attempting to refurbish my broken greenhouse i currently try to pick garden weeds which mainly consist of dandelion and clovers is there a list i can find or you could link me on the best foods to grow in my green house for my hermans thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Wait for an expert however your enclosure is too small. Even the new one will be too small. Make sure the weeds you are picking from the yard are pesticide free.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Basking temp is fine.
All over day temp should range from 75-80
Night temp should be 70.
He needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure.
My guess for the noise would be stress of a too small enclosure and the low day temps
Get the enclosure enlarged ASAP and get temps adjusted. Do not use a heat mat. Tortoises heat themselves from above, using the sun, not from below. The only way a nat should be used is if there is a heat source above the mat and they both are on a thermostat.

Reactions: Ink

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Have you checked his nostrils? Sometimes they can get slightly blocked with dried food,etc. Give them a gentle rub with a cotton-wool stick when he is having a soak - doing this regularly might help.
Angie

Lewis516

Bristol
Basking temp is fine.

Night temp should be 70.

My guess for the noise would be stress of a too small enclosure and the low day temps

Get the enclosure enlarged ASAP and get temps adjusted. Do not use a heat mat. Tortoises heat themselves from above, using the sun, not from below. The only way a nat should be used is if there is a heat source above the mat and they both are on a thermoI dostat.

Basking temp is fine.
Night temp should be 70.
Get the enclosure enlarged ASAP and get temps adjusted. Do not use a heat mat. Tortoises heat themselves from above, using the sun, not from below. The only way a nat should be used is if there is a heat source above the mat and they both are on a thermostat.
the heat mat is positioned on the wall rather than underneath him and is on a thermostat

Lewis516

Bristol
Have you checked his nostrils? Sometimes they can get slightly blocked with dried food,etc. Give them a gentle rub with a cotton-wool stick when he is having a soak - doing this regularly might help.
Angie
i have had a look but he's still pretty small so its a little hard to tell

Lewis516

Bristol
Wait for an expert however your enclosure is too small. Even the new one will be too small. Make sure the weeds you are picking from the yard are pesticide free.
I want to plant more weeds in the garden so I can provide him more of a variety. any idea what the best selection is for a hermmans? I've looked around but the sites I've been on all give different answers

zolasmum

5 Year Member
i have had a look but he's still pretty small so its a little hard to tell
It wouldn't hurt to give his nose a gentle rub daily with the cottonwool bud anyway -it will help keep it clear - even a very small bit of leaf could block it while he is small.
Angie