Shell Deformities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
I was looking at some pics I recently took of Eros and Gaia and since the pics are High resolution I was looking at details of thier shell. That was when I noticed the creases along Eros's skirt scutes... is this natural?
DSCN1076-1.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All I can tell you is that I personally have never seen it in a leopard. I have seen it a lot in Sulcata's. I would say not normal, but I don't think it will cause any harm, except a cute little cosmetic curl :D. Let's see what other more experienced has to say:)

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I think that is just from being folded up in the egg, they may straighten out with the humidity you are giving him. Not quite sure, but i would say its nothing at all to worry about. :) deff a cute lil guy!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
He has this crease on both sides in the same place. I was thinking "Egg Wrinkle" but wasnt sure. He was hatched on New Years Eve so is still quite young.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
I just checked the three siblings that I have left and none of them have the wrinkle. Two are very straight and one has a slight flare. Several of the hatchlings took more time than the others to emerge from the egg after pipping, in fact a couple were quite content to sit and watch the world go by once they had pipped and exposed their heads and probably spent 24 hours more than their siblings in the shell. Doc

Zamric said:
He has this crease on both sides in the same place. I was thinking "Egg Wrinkle" but wasnt sure. He was hatched on New Years Eve so is still quite young.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
it's not that visable just looking at him, I didn't even notice it till I blew the pic up to many times magnification and I'm not that concerned about it...call it curiosity;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just for my own curiosity, how wet and humid were the hatchlings kept right after hatching, and how often were they soaked?

I have seen hatchlings come out with that sort of fold, but I'm curious why it did not straighten out.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
i just checked the lil guy i got from exoticsdr he was hatched christmas and he still has the same wrinkle on both sides :) i will try and get pics of him up to :)

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
I checked zenna your guys sister and she has a slight crease in her center scute that is getting better as she gets bigger.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tom said:
Just for my own curiosity, how wet and humid were the hatchlings kept right after hatching, and how often were they soaked?

I have seen hatchlings come out with that sort of fold, but I'm curious why it did not straighten out.

:tort: Same here, good Q!

Status
Not open for further replies.