Shell conditioning

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
I have read a couple of times, in various threads, about conditioning the shell of tortoises and turtles.
Over the last week, since turning on the heat in our house, that Benny's shell appeared dull and dry. This morning he had a tiny peel on one of his schutes. Bring on the panic and poor Benny suffers through the manhandling of a full mommy panic examination. Lol
The tiny peel was all he had and he is fine otherwise.
I guess the dry air caused by the heat being on is also affecting my enclosure even though I keep it very humid. How's that for contradiction?
Anyhow, I decided to condition his shell this morning during his bath. I used pure coconut oil, which is a solid at room temp, but becomes a rich oil texture when warmed. I applied it and let it sit ten minutes and then rubbed it in tiny circles all over, removing the excess.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383401230.676732.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1383401289.059651.jpg
I don't know if you can make it out, but Benny has some significant (2mm) pink growth lines. He's growing like a weed and getting very round. That some is over 4" high. I will be posting some measurements after he's done his breakfast

Last edited by a moderator: